How will you live in retirement?

Do you ever wonder how you will do it? Are you saving? I know there are people on here who are not even saving for retirement because they have to live day by day on what they make.

http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/109077/1-million-doesnt-cut-it-for-retirement?mod=fidelity-buildingwealth

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 6:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have a retirement plan through work. That's about it right now, for there isn't much left over to save.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• There will be no such thing for us.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 6:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• We have worked hard (both of us) our entire lives. We've deferred the max amount possible. WE do not overspend on frivolous or expensive items. My husband researches every large purchase and closely monitors all investments. We have done very well and are quite comfortable. We are also non -traditional and very adventurist by nature, and may 1 day life outside the US. I am in my early 50s and semi-retired. Our kids are basically young adults. 1 will be graduating later this year with her MA, and our son is a college Freshman, so our parenting days (financially) are winding down.

My biggest concern is health care accessibility and cost -

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I am set for my retirement, which will be soon!

Answer by older at 6:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I think I will most likely be in a cardboard box. See, with no job, no prospects of one, there is nothing to save, therefore, well, you get the picture.
    Anonymous

• We are saving, we have several investments, and I have my retirement and my husband is a military lifer. So hopefully we will be comfortable. As long as we can afford our taxes over the next 15 years.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Ugh, I don't want to know. My husband is disabled and unable to work, but I'm finishing school to try to make it so we ARE NOT living payday to payday.

Sisteract, it's insulting that you assume that anyone that doesn't have a savings built up has spend frivolously. My husband was injured very badly and our life savings went to save our house from being foreclosed on, and keep light and water in our house while I had to start looking for a job (which if you haven't noticed, it's a pretty damn hard thing to do in this economy). Did I mention my husband is only in his mid 20s and will NEVER be able to work a normal job ever again and we can't get SSD for him because the government sucks? We're living on his medical retirement money from the military. So, yeah, don't assume that just because people aren't living comfortably that they haven't worked hard and have blown their money.
    Anonymous

• I hope we are OK. We are putting 35 percent of my husbands income into retirement, investments and savings. If we are taxed more we will continue to do that will just cut what we give to charity so we are prepared for our future. So I am not too worried more concerned for my son if things get worse.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Yes. We save roughly 30-50% of our income (depending on my business profit) towards retirement, IRA's, long term insurance, and a health insurance savings account... My husband was set to reitre at 40, but given the stock market over the last year, we are holding off till 45.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Anon :33- While I am sorry for those citizens in your position, I'd venture to say that YOU are in the minority, while many, many more who are not fiscally solvent, are so because of poor decisions made, including frivolous spending. No one can predict illness or disability (or estimate likely costs), and that's 1 reason why we need affordable and accessible hc, imo

Mom to : The younger generation needs to think globally. My daughter is moving off shore to work at a foreign University. Our kids need to be multi-linguial, and be willing to move where the jobs are at the time. It's a whole new reality.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2010