Do your children call people other than relatives by titles such as aunt, uncle or grandma and grandpa?

I have never like calling people aunt or grandma unless they truly were. Now there are exceptions. But I don't think that children should just call anyone Aunt this or Uncle that. My grandparent's were grandma and grandpa to some friends. To my friends son my mom is grandma mckenzie. That's fine. My kids only call one of my close friends Aunt and that's because she is part of their lives and loves them very much. They call another friends parent's nana and papa. I'm also fine with this because of the role these peole play in my kids lives. I don't like how the sunday school teacher at the church has the kids call her grandma. To me it kinda takes away from the grandparent's my kids have. They are not titles I care to use loosley.
I don't get bent out of shape about it but have been struggling with how to tell this woman at church, who all the kids call grandma, that I don't care for it.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 6:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids only use those titles with their actual grandparents, aunts and uncles.

I would be putting a stop to the woman at the church. She tells the kids to call her grandma? That's kind of disturbing and waaay overstepping boundaries.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 6:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• We have a couple of VERY close friends that we call "aunt/uncle" for our daughter. One has been a dear friend of ours since high school and she's Auntie 'Lea. The other is a friend my husband met while in the military that has become family to us and he will always be Uncle Joey to our kiddo.
    Anonymous

• My kids have non blood "relatives" they are very close and I know that if something happened to me tomorrow they would step up in my place.

But I don't know that I would get bent outta shape about the lady in preschool being called grandma...it might just be easier to say then her real name or it's something all the kids can remember. Plus she is a sunday school teacher...she is teaching your children something extreemly important and thier religious growth is no small matter.

I guess at the end of the day it is one of those "battles" I am just not willing to fight.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I have a friend that has her children call me Auntie and I hate it.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My husbands best friend since he was about 4 years old and his wife are very close to us and the kids call them aunt and uncle and their 18 year old daughter is auntie. We are closer to them then some of their bio aunts and uncles so I have no issue with it. Personally I didn't call anyone else by those titles growing up, but I guess I never felt close enough to anyone to feel the need to.
    Anonymous

• I don't even push for them to call their real aunts Aunt... They just call them by their name... Why would people outside the fam be any different..

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• forcing the kids to call her grandma is something I don't agree with. That being said, all of the kids in my sister's neighborhood call me "Auntie Danielle" because that's what my niece and nephew call me. I feel like its a compliment :)
    Anonymous

• One of my closest friends has a niece who is my daughters again and my daughter started calling my friend aunt after hearing her friend say it all the time, but that's about it.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:22 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My son doesnt call anyone other than relatives aunt uncle grama grampa. He calls every one Miss Jen, Miss Kristen, Mr. Michael Mr Brent things like that. one thing i find weird is my sisters bf's mom wants my son to call her grandma. thats just weird. they arent married. yes we've known her for 12+ years but still. even if my sis and her son did get married she still wouldnt be my sons grandma!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:27 AM on Mar. 22, 2010