What does feminism mean to you? And how does it (if at all) to your belief system?

Here is why I ask and why this question is in the R&B section...

Many people see the reemergence of Goddess religions as simply another leg of the feminist movement. Seeing it as another way that women can be free of men - even in religion. I see this as a manipulation of the facts...

But then the question comes to mind, what is feminism? Is it really the rejection of men? Or is it a fight for equality? Or is it something else?

So what does feminism mean to you and how does it translate (if at all) to your belief system?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Frankly I always saw it as the right to be equal to our male counterparts while maintaining our feminine attributes. Of course there are those who see it as "getting rid" of men or being "superior" to them.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• To me feminism is about choice! It's about women having the right to be their own person... Strong, independent and proud of their individuality and sexuality. It's not about being equal to men - men and women are far from perfect equals. Our bodies, minds, hormones and spirits are different... But that doesn't mean women are worth less than men, it just means they are different. It's also not about living without men, because without men, we all die out. It's simply about asserting our individuality and having the rights to be who we chose to be...

For me, feminism and religious belief go hand in hand. In a world where the majority of the world denies the Goddess I have a very personal relationship with her. I feel her in everything I do. So for me just fighting for feminism is fighting for not just me & my goddess..

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It's a corrupted ideology. Regardless of its original intent, it today means inequality skewed in the favor of women, making men inferior and subhuman. Not something I agree with or support, and nothing to do with my own religion. Then again, mine is not goddess focused to the exclusion of the gods, as some goddess-based faiths are. They are equal in turn, and while there is a sense of hierarchy, it has nothing to do with gender.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Feminism for me is being able to make choices not to be better then men but to be able to work any job I can to take care of myself and kids.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• To me feminism is basically what Kristi described. People look at my beliefs (Catholic) and say that women are not treated as equals simply because they cannot become priests, etc. I see exactly the opposite. The respect that Catholics give to Mary, who was the mother of God, shows that there is respect for women. I was raised that women have roles in which they excel and so do men. We don't exactly have to stick to those roles, but if we do stick to those roles, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Heck, there are roles certain goddesses play that are different to some gods, so what's the difference? I think feminism should be about learning what your own strengths are, embracing them, and being allowed to do so.

Anonymous

• I agree it is about equality and choice. To me it is about the right to be seen as an equal person, regardless of gender, based on strengths and weaknesses of actual character and ability.

I'm atheist, so of course, this has nothing to do with religion. It does probably have a lot to do with growing up being constantly told everything I wanted to wear, play, do, read, whatever, was "for boys" though.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Feminism is the idea that while men and women aren't 100% alike, they deserve the same rights and protections under the law. It works both ways-- women get maternity leave, men should get paternity leave; everyone gets 1 vote per human; everyone can own property, etc.

I attend a UU church. One of our principals is to respect the inherent worth and dignity in every human. Sounds like feminism to me.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Pretty much my opinion is it is simple equality treating woman as human beings and giving them the choice to do what they wish. I can do every thing as good as a man so why not give me the option. I know other churches do allow woman equality either all the way or to a degree. I am non-denominational Christian and though I don't attend church often any more due to circumstances I feel comfortable here We have woman preachers and prayer partners, which I did not find in denominational churches that share my belief system I know some are comfortable in those churches and that's fine. The last time I was told I can't do something because I was a woman at church I was very angry and stopped going to that church.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I think you have a pretty good definition Sabrina. Though I do think it is a struggle for equality, I don't believe we will ever attain it. Instead it is a demand to be respected and heard for our own opinions and taken as seriously as men.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• "I think feminism should be about learning what your sthrengths are, embracing them, and being allowed to do so." anon
    ~
    LOVE IT!

To me, finding equality in the sexes is all in the psyche. Its about the way a man and women should compliment one another. Balance. Its about supporting one anothers strong points but yet lending and recieving support when you need it.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:18 AM on Mar. 22, 2010