Does your child have a make belive friend?

Im sure its totally normal, but my son is kinda creeping me out with his make belive friend named Jason. He has been talking to and playing with him for over a year now. My son is three and a half now. He draws pictures of jason and they all look the same, as a happy monster moution is how my son says jason looks. I think his pictures of it look like the little ghost guys from pac-man... Lol. Just wondering if anyone elses child has a make belive friend and when they out grow this?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 6:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Some do and some turn out to be schizophrenic. If he's not gotten rid of Jason by the time he goes to school, replacing him with real friends then I'd see a doctor.

Anonymous

• lol. Yea ill do that. Thanks anon, that was helpfull alright.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 7:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• LOL my sons name is Jason and he has 2 friends. He calls them Dee Dee and Donna. They came around when he was 3. He is 5 now and I havent heard about dee dee or donna in a while.
    rochellecole

Answer by rochellecole at 7:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• the schizo comment was comforting! lol.. anyways my daughter has many different imaginary friends.. pets, people...and also has alot of real people friends at school! i think it is very normal. shes 4.
    rahrahsmama

Answer by rahrahsmama at 9:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My daughter is five and she still has them. As long as these friends are not making them hurt themselves or others I see no harm!
    prissysayshi

Answer by prissysayshi at 10:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• actually, it is a positive thing. children with imaginary friends tend to be more intelligent and pro-social.
    Lovey1234

Answer by Lovey1234 at 7:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My DS has 100 of them and they are all mice. (There are other animals occasionally, too--but the mice are always with him). He even has a 'pretend friend' (as he calls them) that is a lower-case letter 'e.' Yes, they grow out of it. But for now--enjoy it! It's actually healthy and you really get to see their creativity at work!! =)
    RobynS

Answer by RobynS at 8:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I had a imaginary friend- but to the day I swear he wasn't imaginary. He was a little boy in a suit like they used to dress kids up on- kind of like the buster brown boy I guess. He looked kind of see through. I didn't understand why my mom couldn't see him or insist that he wasn't there.

We lived in a old house and he would tell me that he lived there.

From time to time over the years my sister used to get spooked because she insisted that she heard clunking in this small storage area off her room that mom would store stuff in. Once day my mom got in there and saw toys moved around that looked like they'd been played with. There was no way anyone had been in there-

So no, little one doesn't have a imaginary friend yet, but I'd OK with it if she did :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• No, mine doesn't....not really.
    Maybe "Jayson" is something/someone your child saw on TV or something at some point.
    My dd used to get into shows like Blue's Clues, and she'd pretend she was Steve, or pretend that she was playing with Blue and Steve, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i think my son has one, he cant tell me the name but this morning he came running to me saying he took my blue blanket and put it in my closet , i keeped asking him who did and he keeped pointing he did, i dono what he was pointing at but im a single mom and its just me and my son ...
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2010