Scratching dog

My dog has been scratching himself all over pretty frequently. This has been going on over the past few days. I was wanting to see if anyone else's dog does this (almost like allergies.) do I need to take him to the vet, or is there something natural or topical I can do to relieve the itching? I really really want to try a home remedy first if I can. Oh, he's Border Terrier mix.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Pets

• My dog does this. It is most likely a skin allergy. Have you checked him for fleas?. b/c if it is a flea allergy, he may need an antibiotic from the vet. Otherwise, if it's just dry skin, put fish oil in his food. This helped my yorkie. You can also use aloe as an ointment to relieve the itching. Also, bathe him with oatmeal shampoo.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 7:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It is very possible that it is allergies, but your dog could be itchy because of fleas. Of course that also goes back to allergies because the dogs who are allergic to fleas typically have a worse reaction to them. Benidryl might help with the itchiness but if the dog has a skin infection he will need to be on antibiotics. If it does turn out to be allergies things you can do to help with that is look at the food. It is not unusual for dogs to be allergic to it. I had a golden that was allergic to pretty much everything so I put her on a holistic diet (California Natural) and a suppliment called Nupro. I also kept her on Advantage year round because she was very allergic to fleas.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Flea dander is a big cause for dogs scratching. Oatmeal shampoo will be great for her, but first get rid of any fleas, assuming she has them. If no fleas, it could be dry skin and again the oatmeal shampoo is going to help your furbie stop itching. Also a good cream rinse would help. You can get these things at any pet store and their reasonable.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:28 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Your dog might have a simple itch. A flea bite or mosquito bite can cause an itch up to seven days. Check the skin in the area where your dog is scratching to ensure it isn't reddened or irritated. If it is over all itching, you may try an oatmeal or fatty acid PET shampoo (not human, this can cause a drying of the skin and make the problem worse).

If your dog has allergies, the problem will never go away but can be managed. The most common allergies are flea allergies and inhalant/environmental allergies. True food allergies are a possibility but aren't as common as people would have you believe and are very hard to diagnose, simply changing the food is NOT the way to address this issue (PM me if you have more questions regarding this). Check out the other issues first and rule them out.

You need to take your dog to a vet if you notice any redness, bumps, lesions, or hair loss on your dog.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 2:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My dog has been doing this. I took him to the vet and he has no fleas, or mites. He simply is allergic to his dog food. We are starting him on something different.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2010