Milk production

Few questions for you breastfeeding ladies:

1.) How many of you has oatmeal worked for when it comes to upping milk production?

2.) Do you have to actually make oatmeal or can you just eat the oats how they are? Id rather eat them right out of the package then make them (I hate oatmeal).

3.)If I eat oatmeal, drink enough water, take fenugreek and nurse and/or pump every hour, how long do you estimate Id have my milk back?

4.)Is it possible to reverse nipple confusion?

I have enough milk to nurse once a day so I want to get it back up and havent found a good strategy yet. Nursing on demand doesnt do much because my baby isnt latching well and she cries seconds after trying to suck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have heard that oatmeal helps a lot of moms. I did not find that it helped my production. No amount of medication/herbs/oatmeal will help unless you are removing milk. The best way to get your production back is to breastfeed and/or pump at least 8-12 times every day. If baby won't nurse, then a hospital grade pump can help. A great way is to get rid of bottles and do all of baby's feedings at the breast with an at breast supplementer like the Lact-Aid or SNS.

I used the Lact-Aid to bring in a milk supply with my adopted baby.  Plus I took a medication to increase prolacctin levels, domperidone.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• How old is your baby? Have you ever exclusively breastfed? How do you know you're not making enough? I'd like to help, but I need a lot more information.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• You could also contact the hospital (or the WIC office it you have that) and talk to a lactation consultant. They were very helpful for me when I had milk production issues.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• This is what worked for me when I was having production issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• These links should help:        No pump is as efficient as a baby. However, if you do want to use pumping to help the process you need to learn how to pump efficiently and to use massage and hand expression to help the pump: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html     

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• also visit http://www.drjacknewman.com/ and also http://www.kellymom.com/ and get free help from your local LLL.
    You may also want to look into a supplemental nursing systemd. I'm sure you will get other great tips on using fenugreek and mother's milk tea. Oh and to stimulate supply (even if you get nothing) pump on one side while baby feeds on the other, and also pump between feeds. The more your breasts are emptied and stimulated the more your body will be signaled to make. There is a power pumping technique and ways to help baby get back to breast.

amileegirl