How can I get my son to drink milk?

My son turns 1 on the 26th and we decided to go ahead and switch him from formula to milk. We were told that he needed to drink whole milk, and we decided to only give him organic milk....It has been three days of absolute struggle to get him to take more then two sips at any given time. How do we get him to drink his milk????

alysiah83

Asked by alysiah83 at 7:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• thank you for your thougth but I am trying to get a helpfull answer, not a guilt trip.
    alysiah83

Answer by alysiah83 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Try a soy or almond milk. Or dilutecows milk with the formula, slowly and gradually adding more cows milk. Say 3/4 formula and 1/4 milk, and when that is going well try 1/2 and 1/2, then 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula until he is getting 100% milk. Good luck.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't try almond milk unless you have already introduced nuts. My daughter is 18 months, she was breastfed and still only has the milk on her cereal in the morning. But you're looking for practical advice -- try half formula, half milk (or an even smaller percentage of milk) and slowly increase the amount of milk. Keep it in the same container to start... Good luck. We rely heavily on yogurt, cheese and leafy greens for calcium, yogurt, cheese and avocado for the fats.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I warm it up for my daughter and she took to it a lot better than when I gave it to her cold.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• he doesnt need it. my dd s milk so i give her cheese and yogurt instead. my ds loves milk so thats what he drinks.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• We mixed the milk with formula for a few weeks, starting out with mostly formula and then gradually decreasing the formula, increasing the milk. It worked and now he loves milk!

Answer by missanc at 9:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Just keep giving him formula if he likes formula. There is no harm in giving it.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Well, we are a cow's milk drinking family and we use it for cooking, cereal and we eat cheese and sour cream, yogurt, pudding and other things made from cow's milk ( I just really like the taste of cow's milk, lactose free cause I am lactose intolerant). So this is what we had to do to get her going on cow's milk. She got sick when we were trying to switch her from formula to milk. She had RSV and an ear infection. She refused to eat anything the 2nd day we switched to milk. So during that time, I kept her on formula and went back to using bottles. It was the only way she would drink anything and that was a struggle. After she got over being sick, back to changing her to milk (dairy ease cause she is lactose intolerant as well). We would work in an ounce a day into her sippy cup. Like 5oz formula 1 oz milk day 1, 4oz formula 2oz milk day 2 and so on. Now she loves her milk and has been drinking it great for the whole week.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My son just started to drink milk. He was two in december. He just did not like it and had to develop a taste for it I think. When we started to wean him off of bottles I started to mix the milk with formula in his bottle. We got to half and half and he refused his bottle and wouldn't drink from one after that and would not drink milk. He loved cheese. It took him awhile to like yogurt but after awhile he loved that as well. He now is not a big milk drinker but he will drink it. He drinks it mainly at meals. I guess I am saying just be patient. As long as he is getting dairy/calcium other ways then you are good.
    Anonymous