thick broth

hi ladies
i wont to make a thick broth for my rice soup
how do i do that with cornstarch or what
iam not stupid but it has bin a long time making big quanities
thank u so much

cherylc1962

Asked by cherylc1962 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I use cornstarch and water...you want the consistancy to be like melted ice cream...your broth needs to be at a good boil...slowly add your thickener vigourously stirring while you add it to prevent lumps..I use a whisk and beat it LOL. When it is as thick as you want it turn the heat down and keep stirring to be sure the thickener is cooked. Good luck...gravy used to be something I could never make until my dad taught me how and it turns out right every time.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• the rice will thicken it upon standing. It contiues to absorb moisture. You can also use, flour or egg yolks to thicken it or ecen puree some of the rice.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:04 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• On the cornstarch package it should tell you how much cornstarch to mix with cold water before adding to a hot broth. You can also make roux to thicken broth. It is a combo of fat and flour, cooked until thickened and deeper in color, then liquid added slowly. This is the beginning of gravy and such also. I have heard many people use instant mashed potato flakes to thicken soups with. I've never tried it, but I'm sure it would work fine.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 6:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2010