How to make family dinners focus on family

For those of you who have been together with your SO for 10 yrs or more, do you still eat family dinners together? How often each week?

Do you eat with the TV on or with music? Or do you just have conversation?

Any suggestions for how to establish a good family dinner routine for a SAHM and working dad of two young children (ages 3 and 6), married for 18 yrs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• Definitely unplug.... I MADE my hubby do this and everyone sits at the table together. The conversation just happens... my 5 yr old daughter makes a big deal out of asking "what did you do today" to each of us... even if she already knows! Now my 3 yr old son gets into the act!! The kids LOVE that they have our FULL attention ;o). We try to do this at least 5 days a week. ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Turn off the tv and music... sit down at the table... at least 5 nights a week. I am not sure what you mean by how do you start a routine like this...just start doing it and eventually it will be a routine.... I think its a huge deal to have family dinner....mostly bc I never had them growing up and now realise that they are great for communication and togetherness.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 9:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• We don't have the tv nor music on unless the music was quiet.
    We sit at the bar or table. We pray before eating as a rule, and take turns (ladies first) telling our favorite part of the day and least favprite part. This is the time we talk about stuff, and before we do this since my kids are young, I remind them what we did today.

txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Put the food on the table at a designated time. Turn everything off (music, tv, phones) and sit, eat, talk and enjoy the time together.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• we do all the above.. sometimes we watch tv. sometimes we sit at the table... when dd gets into school we will start having dinner at the daily nightly...
    really, just put the food on the table ...let the family know you want to spend time with them... dont forget to say no cell phones / house phones!! Kids will be texting between bites !!
    get conversation going.. kids school. sports. fav. tv shows... talk about upcoming occasions, future goals... talk about friends.. :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2010