Help!!! No Paci equals major problems

I took my 19 month old daughter off her pacifier about 2 weeks ago. Naptime and bedtime is a nightmare. She will scream for literally an hour everytime its time for her to go to sleep. I have tried rubbing her back and soothing her and it works until I stop and it goes back to screaming. I need some ideas so I can get my sanity back.

drs1206

Asked by drs1206 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• did you take it cold turkey? if so that might not have been a good idea...kids all go through things different, for one kid cold turkey works, for others it's a gradual thing. maybe give it back to her, only for nap and bedtime, then in a few weeks you can start cutting it, cut the tip off, snip off a little bit a little at a time. some kids will chuck it the first time you snip it, others need to do it gradually, until there's nothing left to suck.

right now obviously she's not ready. my ds didn't get off of his until he was 2, i wanted him off of it sooner but with a new sister, daddy deploying and alot of other stuff going on afterwards i let him have have it longer, cuz i knew there was no way he was ready for me to take it. but he only had it at nap and bedtime. GL
    Anonymous

• First of all, dont go back! You are doing great and she will get past this ;)

To help my kids get past the paci, I gave my kids a sippy cup with a soft spout, with ONLY WATER in it.

If you give her juice or milk it can and will damage her teeth....so only use water ;)

This seemed to help them b/c it was something to put in their mouth to sort of chew on.

They eventually just quit taking a cup like that. You could also try one of those teether type things too, something to do with her mouth besides paci....know what I mean.
    May not work, but you could try it anyways ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Just my opinion, but I would give her the pacifier back. My son had his "binky" until he was four and has absolutely no ill effects from having it that long. He is now 13 and we still tease him about trading his binky for a Nintendo 64 game console.

Most people are horrified he had it that long, but if it is only at naps and bedtime who cares. I knew there were going to be bigger battles to fight before he was raised and out of the house. His binky was a comfort to him and nothing could replace that. I'd let her have it back, especially since it has been two weeks and she hasn't gotten over it. I'm sure I am in the minority with my thinking.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I strongly believe that children shouldnt have a pacifier after a 1 1/2. I also dont think I would like to start from scratch again. Giving it back is not and an option
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• You are probably really close to seeing the end of the paci withdrawl. My DD was super addicted to the paci. Bedtime was a nightmare for about 15 days and then it was like the paci never happened. Be kind, loving, empathetic, but stick to your guns...no more paci. Soothing her is fine as long as you keep it brief and walk out. You don't want to start up another bed sleep association after you get rid of the paci.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Give her something else! I took dd's binky cold turkey at 18 mos and had her pick out a stuffed animal to replace it! She also had a special blanky so with the 2, it was over the second day! She needs something to replace the binky, something soothing because that's what the binky did... let her pick out any blanky/stuffed toy she wants and that will be her special thing when she's upset!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010