Why do so many women thing it's bad to let their girls wear makeup?

I mean really, do you want them to feel ugly or like less of a girl because they are the only ones without lip gloss in their class?? What's the big deal? Isn't it better to teach them how to use it the right way instead of telling them not to wear it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sorry, but I don't get it either. I look at a woman without makeup as low class and unkempt. It's a part of daily hygiene. And I think people who deny their kids that chance are teaching the wrong things! Most women and girls, do not look beautiful without make up. Even young skin has flaws and they need to learn the proper way to apply makeup at a young age. Otherwise you have you end up with girls and teens looking like clowns because they go to school and share everyone elses makeup and they don't know what they are doing. Although I can tell you most grown women don't know how to wear makeup. If I can look at you and notice your makeup - you need to go try again! Girls should learn this! Makeup is meant to cover flaws and enhance your natural look, not to take it over. If they learn this young, it will be better for them later.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Lip gloss is one things but eyeshadow and mascara is a little much. It makes them look older then they are and will attract the wrong attention.
    Anonymous

• 1. It clogs up their skin 2. It gives them a false sense of security and they rely on the make up and not themselves to be confident in 3. they are not taught how to put it on properly in most cases and look like street whores or worse, Jersey Girls
    Anonymous

• If they feel ugly or less like a girl cause they aren't wearing makeup then something is wrong. There is nothing wrong with the face they have why would they want to cover it up? I want my daughter to feel comfortable in her own beautiful skin not in the $5 dollar a jar stuff that is going to wear off.
    Anonymous

• Depends on how old they are. My girl is only 3. She has put on blusher (mommy did) which I didnt use enough to see but she felt special, and I will let her use my red chap stick, that's about it. Oh and nail polish it ifs not too dark.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I wear make up and my 4 yr old already wants some. lol. I have painted her nails and feet (pink) before and she thinks chapstick is lipstick. She also like lotions and such because of me. Now it depends on the age of the child and if it is just lip gloss. I don't think that is a problem either. I was about 12 or 13 when I stared lite make up.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• think about it this way... do you want grown men looking at your young daughter as a potential screw? There are also child rapist out there who would love to find a little girl dress up like a lady. No need to put your daughter in any more potential harm then necessary. also ages do matter. I think 15 and up is a good time for them to start wearing makeup... anytime before that and your asking for trouble.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 9:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I'm 36 and I don't wear makeup at all. I wore lipstick a few times in high school, but that's about it. Makeup isn't necessary to look pretty. And I will teach my daughter that beauty comes from within.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Why teach a child they have to wear make up? I am so glad my daughter doesn't have to compete with painted girls in school. They have a no make up rule for under 8th grade.
    Anonymous

• Most tween girls don't know how to apply make-up so that it is attractive. And there is nothing worse than a young girl with gawdy eye makup. I was opposed to my daughter wearing makeup until she was a teenager because I didn't want her focusing on her looks. However, I must admit my daughter never really wanted to wear makeup when she was still in grade school.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 9:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2010