what are your "best friend" qualifications?

Are you the type of person who is "everyone's best friend" or are you selective about who you allow to enter your inner circle? Do you have one "best friend" or many? Why is your best friend your best friend?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 9:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm very selective about those I trust and I am still in the market for a "bestie". I have many good friends, but none I'd call my "best". I don't know what would uniquely qualify a person for the "position", either.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• My bestie I have known for 15 years but only became a best friend 8 years ago. they must be loyal but I don't expect them to like my other friends but do expect them to be respectful to them, they must know how to keep their mouth shut without me telling them not to tell something (my discussions with them are not subject to public knowledge), my best friend is a guy so gender is not important. I don't need a bestie to tell me how to fix things, I just need them to listen and I will do the same for them. I do need them to tell me when I'm being ignorant and tell me the 'hard stuff' even when they may think I won't believe them. (one of my friends didn't want to get involved when my ex-hub was cheating...said she didn't want to get in the middle, needless to say, she has dropped to aquaintance status).
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• i have friends but my best friend (besides my dh) is my bestie because ever since we met 7yrs ago (omg it's been that LONG??) we've been there for each other, had our fights, made up, even had an argument that lasted over a year but we both got over it and still remained friends, i took her out of state for the first time in her life, we had a blast on our "mini vacation". now i'm her dd's goddaughter and she's my kids' godmother. we live states apart now, due to life changes/dicisions but we still keep in touch and see each other when we can. she' having her baby in 3 weeks and i'm gonna be there to see him! i'm SUPER excited! a bestie is someone you can trust, you can go to them for anything and know they won't go around spreading your business, you can get advice and/or give advice, and you have no problem kicking her out of her own bed so you can get sleep in it LOL j/k (inside joke)
    Anonymous

• I don't have that many good friends. I have to feel comfortable talking to someone, feel like they understand me and care, and feel like I can trust them with a secret to be close friends...I can be friendly with most anyone, and I have had a lot of short term good friends since I was a teenager, but I haven't had more than 3 best friends in the last 20 years. It seems like usually the guy I am with is my best friend in any relationship, and that's true for my husband also. He's the only person I really feel like I can tell anything to and trust and he will always be there for me. I haven't stayed friends with any of my ex's because once the relationship is over, I can't trust them as a friend either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2010