Is the current health-care reform bill constitutional?

Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Uh no. It's not. How can the government tell me that I am REQUIRED by law to BUY a third part service to ANYTHING? Not only that, but they get to decide if my family can or cannot pay for it, and if they deem that it is 'affordable' then I will be fined.

Does that really seem constitutional? Not to me....
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• No, it is not. It is not constitutional because they are going beyond Congress’s powers under the Constitution, such as its powers to tax and regulate interstate commerce, intrusive regulation of medicine, etc. It is unconstitutional to force the American people to purchase a commodity or face fines and jail time.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• The Constitution has been denigrated and ignored since 1980. I have no idea if we can recover from what has been happening since then. Our country is owned by Banks and Industries and the Middle Class is disappearing. If nobody can afford health care, then many more of the middle class and the poor will die young or lose their homes. Then the richest , the CEO's and the Stock Market will be in absolute control....if they aren't already.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I agree with those who state it is NOT Constitutional. Why? Making individuals buy insurance merely because they are alive is a claim of power manipulates the commerce clause.

Article I of the Constitution~ "provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States." … How can some of the special deals be justified???… IE~ How does is it a benefit to all the states toexcuse one state from an increase in Medicare costs or allowing only the citizens ofone state to get complete benefits of Medicare Advantage?

If states challenge this and enforce Article V of the Constitution that allows state legislatures the power to require Congress to convene a convention to propose an amendment to the Constitution~then I think this bill is over. Done. Finite.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It's not it is tyranny
    Anonymous

• NO it is NOT! See the above responses, they have explained far better than I could hope to.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Then the richest , the CEO's and the Stock Market will be in absolute control....if they aren't already.

You are right, they are already in control.  And some of them work in our government.  You handed them even more control with this bill.  Smooth.  They use you like a tool.

Anonymous

• I agree with Crissy and grlygrlz. It's not constitutional.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Hopefully, my state will be able to protect me from the federal government.
    Anonymous

• Respectfully, HOW IS THAT RELEVANT?

I hardly think that matters.

The constitution is what the country was founded on, and THAT was a long time ago.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2010