Lactose Intolerant 1 year old

We just found out our son not only has acid reflux but he is also lactose intolerant. Soy and Goats milk made his sick a well. We are trying Rice milk but we are having a har dtime finding foods that have no milk in them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

mommajess2026

Asked by mommajess2026 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know that my hubby and myself both were lactose intolerant when we were little and the rice milk was the only thing that either of us could handle. They do make rice icecream and such... as far as "normal" foods, it is true that you may have a hard time finding things without milk in it. But if you cook from "raw" foods then it will be MUCH easier! It does take more time and more effort but that is the one way to ensure that your son won't be getting the lactose intake that he doesn't need.
    jhg374

Answer by jhg374 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My daughter is the same way. She is 14 months old and has acid reflux she is lactose intolerant and she is also allergic to egg whites so I know what you're going through. We do the rice milk with her and it seems to make things go more smoothly. Honestly though, I don't have many ideas for you because we have just started avoiding giving her things with much milk or eggs in them in order to avoid problems. Let me know if you get any good advice cause I'd love to hear it!!
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 2:04 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I would look for the veggie cheese, a friend of mine has a son that has been lactose intolerant for over a year now and that is one of the things that have helped save her sanity many times because he has three older brothers who love milk and cheese and to buy the veggie cheese for all is too expensive. With recipes that call for milk try changing out milk for water or rice milk. I know that with home made buttercream icing you can exchange the milk in it for water and it doesn't alter the taste. Many off brand cake mixes also do not have milk in them. Oreos do not have milk in them. The best advice is to read the labels.
    sreed10

Answer by sreed10 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 1, 2008