What the best way to organize toys ranging from board games to little stuff like marbles?

No matter how we try to organize everything ends a mess and pieces get missing.

momofzachjassop

Asked by momofzachjassop at 10:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I use the zip lock style bags with the gripper zipper to hold all the little pieces for each game. That way if little ones drop the whole thing on the ground your not losing pieces. Then I have little plastic containers for other little things so we can stack them. Like, all polly pocket in one, legos, little people, crayons, markers, and paints and brushes. Then they are easier to stack and if you use see thru plastic you can tell what is in each one.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Ziplock bags in every game to hold the loose pieces is a biggie. Teach the kids to put all the loose pieces up immediately after completing the game. Instead of rubberband around cards, use a small piece of saran wrap to hold them.
    If you sew, you could make drawstring bags for marbles and games that don't have boxes.
    The other key is to have shelves, a bin, or some specific place that the games "live".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• WE DO ZIPLOCK BAGS ALSO AND ALL GAMES ARE STACKED BASED ON SIZE IN THE CLOSET .....WHEN WE GET A NEW COFFEE TABLE THAT HOLD STUFF WE WILL PUT THEM ALL IN THERE ! DD HAS A BOOK SHELVE WITH LITTLE BINS THAT WE THROW LIKE ITEMS IN THEM BARBIES IN ONE BLOCKS IN ANOTHER CARS ETC IN ANOTHER !
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• HOLDS*
    ELIZABETHSMO902

• I have a closet and a solid wood toy chest for ALL board games. You bring one out another can not come out until the other is put completely away. As for toys in general. I have one 9 yr old that has (what I think...lol...) toys r us 3 in this house, thanks to my MIL... now for his large action figures we have a very large plastic toy box, (a plastic tub will do also) that these items go into and a toy shelf with different colored buckets that smaller items go into...his hot wheel collection is another story tho for us... he has over 300 of them and only 2 cases right now... so the rest go into large boxes that I picked up from a store (free)...
    I found a good sturdy box that holds all markers, crayons, scissors etc... that stays on another shelf with all scrap paper and his magazines...(our art area)
    I figure if I can keep some of the mess under control the rest won't be so bad...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:33 PM on Mar. 22, 2010