Do you think people get weirded out or grossed out by NORMAL things more than they used to?

Like...cooking with raw meat. My friend puts gloves on to cook. Seriously.
Or, getting baby puke on them. Really? Why have a baby if you can't handle a little puke.
OR...you name it. I think our society has gotten soft. We have delicate sensibilities.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• putting gloves on to cook dinner lol! i've handled poop, puke, raw meats on my hands without screaming like im going to die, soap and water-it does wonders. i make sure hands are cleaned after kids touch dirty things and before we eat. DH has cut deer up in the sink, i've had to handle a dead cat after a dog attacked it. someone has to do the dirty work. everything gets a good clean down after raw meats have been on it, i use bleach and comet. i think people now days are sick alot more then back in the day. we're cleaning our good germs away i guess. i like the country living better. everything is more laid back. step on the mouse and throw it out instead of screaming on a chair, clean the puke up without making a big scene. im guessing theres germs on the gloves tho, people touch the box it came in. someone could have sneezed while holding the box of gloves then put them back lol
    Anonymous

• I agree. We are getting really silly about some things.

That said, I still won't stick my hand into the garbage disposal. It's jammed and my hubby's hand is too big to fit into the hole. I won't unjam it, so it's just backing up lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Oh yeah! I think it is because people now have the luxury of being wimps. Now they make gloves and other "helpful" products, that have turned us into wienies. In the old days people had so much to do just to get by that they just did it, they didn't think about how gross it was, they didn't have tome to ponder the grossness.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• It's because there is so many things out there to scare you! I lysol my KITCHEN after cooking with raw meat. It's rediculous!

I think it's crazy when moms make eveyone scrub down with hand sanitizer before they come within 25 ft of their kid.

It makes me think of how when I was a kid, we could run free, not wear seatbeats, and ride bikes with no helmuts, need pads and elbow pads.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Ati: Try using a broom handle (wooden kind) to unjam it. It is sensible to not stick your hand into a grinder.
    Anonymous

• Ati, if you won't put your hand in there you can still get it unjammed. Turn your broom upside down and put the stick in the disposal. turn it until you feel it catch on one of the blades and then give it a good push. It should come unjammed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Sunshine: When you attempt to kill bacteria, some survive and become immune to the toxin you are putting on it. You are creating superbugs in your own kitchen. Just wash with soap and water!
    Anonymous

• Sadly a lot of people get grossed out by things that used to be the norm. Breastfeeding is now a horrible thing to do and everything else listed.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 10:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I think its because of all the germ scares that people hear all the time now... I mean Germ-X and Purell is making tons off of our fears.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 10:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• And to think, I have had other peoples 2y/o's literally puke all over me. We are not like that at my house and most people are freaked, but, damn....no need to be so paranoid. We live a mellow life in mine. I don't own too much "helpful devices" and sometimes we forget to wash hands. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2010