50/50 custody?

I understand that in some cases this just wouldn't work for a lot of people. But if you knew that your kids father was a great dad and all he wanted was to be around his kids would you do 50/50 custody?

milf661

Asked by milf661 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My ex is a great dad but we can't agree on her upbringing. I have sole custody and guardianship but we have split visitation. in Illinois, visitation and custody are 2 different things. The custody part is who gets to make all the decisions about the childs upbringing...I do all that. he gets her 2 nights-3 days every week for visitation.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• if it was easy on the kids then yes, but if it makes it more difficult for them such as changing school and moving around a lot then maybe not
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Absolutely. IMO a child deserves 50/50. If both parents are good parents, both parents should get an EQUAL amount of time with their child if they split.
    Anonymous

• learn the terms. 50/50 LEGAL custody is not the same as 50/50 PHYSICAL custody. I don't care if he's man of the year as a dad, he has to be responsible for the care of the child so yes he has to pay.
    Anonymous

----------------------------------------------
    I don't know if i am posting this correct or not but I am replying to whoever wrote the above response. :::

Learns the terms? Are you a lawyer? First of all I know I did not specify physical or legal but obviously I was talking about TIME with the kids! Obviously he wants to be responsible for his kids because he wants to have 50/50 split PHYSICAL custody!!!! If he has the children half of the time then what would he be paying the other parent for? Sounds like someone is just money hungry! If it is such a financial burden as you put it, to have the kids more then why would you not have 50/50 PHYSICAL custody as requested by the Father of the year????

milf661

Answer by milf661 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• When you have split physical custody all of the arguments for child of support are pretty much nullified. That's why so many argue against it - they don't want to lose their welfare...er... I mean, THEIR MONEY! er...I mean their paycheck. Er... you know, any of the terms that women on CM have posted when they think everyone agrees with their POV.

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My husband shares joint physical custody with his ex wife. They each have the children exactly half the week and make a point to live close enough that this works for both of them. Their parenting philosophies are different in some ways, but for the most part it works for them and the kids are happy.

I dont know about in other states, but in Michigan, joint physical custody does not nullify child support. My husband makes quite a bit more money than his ex and pays support on the kids. As it was explained to him, child support in a joint physical custody is to ensure the same quality of life at both the childrens homes. His was not severely high, there are a lot of factors that go into determining child support, one big one was that he carried health coverage on both kids at the cost of $90 a week.

If hes a great dad, why deny him his children? Provided the parents are mature and acting in the best interest of the kids.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 10:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2010