What am I doing wrong? I'm about to just throw in the towel.

FACTS: 20yrs old, 5'9", 150lbs, have lost 8lbs & want to lose 20 more. I'm on Nutrisystem but don't just eat that, I make simple salads & eat a lot of "negative calorie" snacks like fruits & veggies. I do 25mins of cardio (it's taken time to work up to this after having DS), stretch & do whatever particular muscle that I have for the day. I'm usually at the gym for a little over an hour 3 days a week, then do pilates 1-2 times a week. When I'm not working out I try to stay active by doing chores & walking our dog. I drink about 8 glasses of water a day.

I probably take in about 700-800 calories a day but work about 200-300 of them off. I have a cheat day every Saturday to try & "trick" my body into not going into starvation mode. I lost 8lbs the first week & a half & haven't lost anything so far & it's 7 days later. Instead I go up 2-4lbs & go down 2-4lbs.

What am I doing wrong? :[ Cont...

ours

Asked by ours at 11:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Cont...usually I'd just stop eating & lose weight unhealthily, but I'm trying to be good this time. If I can't even lose a pound or two in 7 days working as hard as I do then why keep it up?

P.S. I just bought a 14 day trial of that Acai (sp?) Berry stuff. I already know when to call & cancel so that they don't sign me up for the monthly charge. I hope it helps. Anyone taken the stuff?
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• That is way to little to eat... And by cheating every saturday but not eating much you are just ruining you metabolism.
    Anonymous

• wow...well first off, taking that little amount of calories a day, plus working off more calories and such is SO UNHEALTHY. Your not tricking your body, because now everytime your body gets food, it's going to want to store it as fat.
    Not all fruits and veggies are negative calorie foods.
    Anonymous

• ANON - Saturdays I take in about 2,000-2,500 calories & it's not necessarily "bad food" either. Just like home cooked meals & larger portions.
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I know not all fruits & veggies are negative calorie foods, but I wasn't about to list all of them haha. I was just stating that I try to keep everything I take in healthy.
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Take it from someone that lost 150 pounds in a year.Your putting your body in starvation mode so it will hold onto those calories and not burn them right.Also your not helping your metabolism to function correct with this method.So really your only doing your body more harm than good with this lifestyle.
    Baby1114

Answer by Baby1114 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• How many calories should I be eating? I feel like I'm eating enough right now. I'm never dizzy & have a lot of energy.

I've always lost weight in the past by just not eating, but after gaining 55lbs with my son I knew that I had to try something else to lose the weight. I'm eating all throughout the day, it's just low calorie meals.
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• Eat NO LESS than 1000 with no excersize... I would make sure you stay around 1250 at least and have no cheat days. I used to be anorexic and trust me eating like this is an easy step into it. Also as soon as you eat normally it will come right back.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• I really felt like I was eating a lot :/ I guess I'll try taking in 1,000 calories a day for the next week & see what it does for me.

How long will it take to get my body back to losing weight instead of holding onto everything?
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2010

• you have to eat more smaller meals a day to keep your metabolism going. and dont eat any carbs. eating breakfast is very important cuz it kick starts your metabolism. also, you should check your local target & other stores & see if they have a drink called enviga. www.enviga.com - they are delicious & they help you burn an extra 300 calories a day. & if you can exercise more, thats really the way to do it. eat lots of protein, protein turns into muscle which eats fat. oh & by the way, you might be loosing fat, but gaining lean muscle - which is a good thing, but it wont show on the scale.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2010