Please tell me how this will affect my family?

we are a family of 4 ( married, 3 y/o & 1 y/o)

on an income of around 25,000/year -- we do get food stamps, but we dont qualify for anything else ( ie. medicaid) .... on the other hand, we do not have insurance due to pre-excisting conditions)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• So is this new - the fact that you only lately do not have insurance? Just try to eat really healthy and take care of yourselves. You can probably take the kids to the health dept. but for your husband and you, you'll have to go to a clinic or something if you get really sick. Thankfully our bodies heal themselves when they can.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• GIRL IDK IM JUST AS NERVOUS AS YOU WERE A FAMILY OF 3 WE MAKE 50,000 A YEAR AND HAVE INSURANCE ...JUST GOT MARRIED 2 MONTHS AGO SO I WAS EXCITED TO HAVE INSURANCE ...NOW LOOK AT ALL THIS MESS ! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You're screwed tooo, just like the rest of us! Just wait.... we haven't seen nothin' yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• ANON 11:04 PM I THOUGHT U WERE TALKING BOUT THE HEALTH CARE SINCE ITS BEEN A HOT TOPIC TODAY LOL
    Anonymous

• yeah, we havent had insurance for a little over a month and we have tried everything because we cant just pray not to get sick..... (note, the pre-excisitng condition is a serious heart problem that my husband and my daughter both have ! )

I was kind of wondering.......... if my husband cut down a day or work, we wouldnt probably qualify for the medical card....woudl that work....they still get insurance dont they ( medicaid people)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• based on what I was just reading, this bill is good for you!
    You might be on the "edge" of the poverty line here too, but with an affordable plan through the Govt, you won't loose everything you have if someone gets hurt or really sick!
    That's a BIG deal!
    Here is a link with the summary so you can see for yourself.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000846-503544.html

You have to think long term. In the end, you are better off HAVING coverage, even if it costs you money now.
    You can't live in fear that someone will get in an accident and cost money, you should only have to worry about THEM.

boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 12:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• thanks for the link boomama...

yes I hope so... we have been trying to get insurance from basically every insurance company we could get ahold of and have absoluty no luck at all... we have to keep cancelling appts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My kids have medicaid through CHP. I have nothing. I don't qualify for medicaid because my kids survivor benefits. Our food stamps amount is pretty low. I had to be creative on that one. I can't afford to pay for an insurance plan that goes up every year. I can't afford one at all. I do have hypertension and asthma. I deal with it. I never go to the hospital, the one time I did its because it was serious and I can't pay that bill. Its interesting that I watch shows from the UK and not once do I hear about insurance cards or issues in the hospital shows that are similar to ER. Its not an issue. It shouldn't be one here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• So sorry to hear. It is a scary feeling when you have no insurance. I do this for a living and you are 100% correct about denials for pre-existing. I see more and more insurance companies refusing to pay for something as little as a cough just b/c the patient was seen for a cough last winter. With two babies and your income what is the point in paying hundreds of dollars a month for insurance just to still have to pay for a visit, tests, rx, etc. b/c this is pre-existing. I am not sure where you are from but I know here our Medicaid program has a spend down. Once so much has been pd out of pocket they qualify. Talk w/your doctors and let them know what is going on. You would be surprised at how many will work with you. I always tell our patients I would rather work with you however we need to then to send acct to collections or have them find another doctor. Good Luck!
    shefergie

Answer by shefergie at 3:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2010