Drinks/Potty training

Working on potty training my 3 year old son, but he's really put a fight up about the cup to bed. Well my DH and I decided its time we put our foot down, and insist on the no cup rule. What is a good time to cut of liquids for a bed time of 8:30-9:00, to try and insure that he wakes up dry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We stop giving our daughter anything to drink about an hour before she goes to bed. She hasn't had an accident since we started doing it. :)
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 2:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I stopped giving my daughter anything to drink a hour before bedtime and she's never had a accident.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My daughters get water with dinner (5:30 or 6 is when we sit down) and their lights are out at 7:30. They don't drink between dinner and bedtime usually. My 18 month-old wakes up DRY, but my 3 year-old does not. Whatever you may try, some kids are physiologically-equipped to stay dry at night, some are not. I have seen some people advocating withholding fluids for up to 3 hours before bed and I do not think it's safe to dehydrate a child for potty training purposes. But an hour before is reasonable, just know that it may not work. Some parents wake their children once before they go to bed and that gets them through the night... In our house, though, we're just comfortable using the pull-up until her system matures enough so that her brain gets the full-bladder signal while asleep. I guess that will mean that my 18 month-old will be out of the pull-up before my 3 year-old, but so be it!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I just keep my 3 year old in pull ups at night. He is potty trained and we mostly take a dry pull up off him in the morning because he won't pee in it but it is there just in case. I do not cut back on fluids before bed. He is the youngest of 5 and I never cut any of them off drinks at a specific time. Eventually they just don't pee at night they know to go to the potty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 22, 2010