Do you think your child should call in to their parents-- even if they are 19 years old?

My niece likes to party a lot, she is in college and she sometimes "forgets" to call my sister (her mom) to inform her where she is. She will stay gone all night and half of the day or 2, 3 days at a time without calling and it upsets the whole family because they worry.

She says that she is an adult and it shouldn't matter but we all say it's just the simple fact that people care about her.

What do you ladies think?

Thank you!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• If she lives at home, she should call if her parents want her to. Every night, it is the respectable thing to do. If she lives on her own, then a call every couple of days is fine.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• if her parents pay for anything its a must,but if they dont she doesnt have to.Mom should just be really close to her so her girl feels ok with calling her no matter what.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• She lives with her parents. Sorry I forgot to add that. And thank you ladies!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• That's crap and my mother wouldn't have tolerated it. She is right she is an adult she needs to act like one. You know by showing consideration for those people who care about her. What if something did happen to her, would she really want someone to wait two days before acting.
    Tell her no one is asking her to get permission only to keep them informed.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 1:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• To an extent sure call once a day, everyother day, let mom know your ok. Especially if she parties alot, things happen there. My mom and I butt heads on this alot. I'm 23 and a mom of 2 almost 3, and she still believes that I need to call her everytime I go somewhere, stay somewhere, and gets down right rude if I don't. She is an adult, and mom needs to realize that. Bugging her all the time to call and check in is just going to push her further away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• She has to,if shes not old enough to act like a real adult and pay for her own place then she should before she gets booted.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 1:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Anon :09 again...posted that before you said she is living at home. if she lives at home then yes, she should at least call and let mom know if she isn't going to be home, and when she will be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Definitly if she lives at home it doesn't matter if she is 19 or 39 living at home, she should call out of common decency if she is not going to be there on time.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 1:14 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• If she lives at home, yes she should. If she pays rent, then she shouldn't have to ask but she should be courteous enough to inform the family of when/if she will be home.

My mother and I split the mortgage on our house. We BOTH check in with each other. It isn't fair to leave the whole family worrying just because your too lazy to call.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:18 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• When I was still living at home at 18 and 19 I let my parents know what my plans were and if they changed I tried to call and let them know. Yes I was an "adult" but I still lived at home and even though I was in college and paying for my own college education, I still checked in with my parents out of respect for them. I paid rent to my parents and even that didnt stop me, parents worry when their kids dont come home.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2010