Why are some men so WEIRD about...

The toys their sons can play with. Most men I know would not WANT their son to be gay. I am not saying it's something I agree with, or that these men would not LOVE their sons if they were/are...but why are so many men afraid of "turning" their kids gay? Like, "He's not playing with that doll!" or "Boys don't play house" or anything else that is considered gender specific? Can you really even "turn" somebody gay??? I think it's crazy. If he's gay...he's probably already gay. And if he's not...then playing house with his sister isn't going to make him that way. I know this is unimportant...but men perplex me. Because when a girl likes fishing or ball games, for example, she's just a "tomboy" and then they are buddies! But if a boy liked feeding a doll...oh heaven forbid!

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't know. My bro. got dressed up in girls clothes by me and played barbies with me and he is not gay.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:28 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yes, we did this with a cousin also and he is far from gay. LOL. And even aside from the gay thing...why is it so important for our boys to be "macho?" If a guy is sensitive, I think it's doing him a disservice to deny him the right of being who he is. We're expecting a son in two months and I can SEE DH's face if I suggest buying him anything other than action figures, toy weapons, blocks and other building toys, etc... Yet, my mom got dd a tool set for Christmas so she can "help daddy" and that's totally great. *rolls eyes*
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• There is a boy in my sons preschool who will not play with the boys, instead he plays "house" with the girls, he dresses babies and makes food "reads" to the girl he's playing with
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Because most men are small minded idiots when it comes to the "manliness" of their sons. My son likes to wear his sister's hot pink rainboots and play with her tea set. Does that mean he's gay? I doubt it but WHO CARES! HE'S 19 MONTHS OLD! And if he WANTS to play with that stuff because it's fun and makes him happy I say knock yourself out baby! I love my children and will continue to love my children no matter what the end up being in life. My husband feels the same way. We will raise them to be as open minded as we are and I wish everyone would do the same. The world would be such a nicer place.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I always think that too ( about how girls can do boy things but boys cant do girl things) ... my husband isnt like that but my friends hubby is... its crazy !

my son has boy dolls lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:41 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• It's always the men who sit on their asses at home and don't do anything who are afraid when their sons hug a baby doll or put on an apron and play in the kitchen.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 3:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• It's the way they were raised.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 4:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I agree with HotMamma. My sis and I used to dress up my brother and he liked it, prob liked all the attention he got. he played barbies with us too, but he always took their clothes off and hes def not gay. He has a son and a GF
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

So that's why my dh is like that!!!
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 6:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My sisters 4 year old boy currently has blue nail polish on his toes and loves to dress up like a princess. His dad has no issues with it. My girl is a little tom boy and hates anything girlie or pink. Most of her clothes are boyish and last year for chistmas she wore a suit. It was the cutest thing you have ever seen. My mother had a fit and told her if she likes to cross dress she'll turn gay. Some people are just idiots.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 7:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2010