Food Revolution

I'm twenty minutes into this show, and he's saying that if your a parent you should be pissed off. I'd be pissed off if my daughter had pizza for breakfast and crap for lunch.. she's only 14 months so she's far from school lunches... but its the same type of food i had in school.. its bull.. she'll have better or i'll be pissed.. i hope this revolution works in his favor..

who else is pissed?

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 1:28 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It made me grateful for my kids' school lunches. They go to a very small private school with no cafeteria.There is a small kitchen in the gym that a caterer rents. She does the school lunches as well. A fixed menu that is the same every week. I work for her part time and know what is in the lunches. No processed stuff. The "worst" stuff she uses is the fish sticks for the pre-k kids. Everything else is fresh or fresh frozen. I also know that this is not the norm.

We, as parents, need to wake up and look at what we are giving our children and/or letting them buy. Oreos are not a breakfast food (some kid in ds2's pre-k class has them for breakfast sent by mom, and they wonder why he is so unruly.) My kids are not always the healthiest eaters, but even eliminating one processed food a month from your diet will make a huge difference.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Oh definitly!!!!
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 2:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• They can blame the school all they want, but those parents have the option of sending healthy lunches to school with their children. Children will reject fresh food (like the children who spit out their salad) if they are continually feed processed crap at home. That being said, I do let my four year old eat frozen chicken nuggets about twice a week, we eat lipton noodles about once a week, Kraft mac 'n cheese slips in there, etc. But we certainly eat fresh fruit and veggies with every meal.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• What the kids are being served is crap, but you can't make them eat well at school either. It was sad the number of whole apples being thrown away. My son often brings home half his lunch. And when he doesn't, I have to wonder if he is just throwing it away. I often accompany the class on field trips. The kids bring as much crap from home as parents complain about being served in cafeterias, all those gummy, fake fruit snacks, cookies, artificially flavored punch. At least school serve milk and some fresh fruit, but like I said, you can't make them eat it.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 3:32 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I agree with toriandgrace....parents if they wanted can send healthy lunches. They choose not too. I don't care if you are on food stamps or not...food stamps buy deli meat and cheese, you cannot blame the school if you CAN buy lunch items. Don't blame them for choosing NOT TO.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2010