newborn poop question?

Yesterday my 1 month old pooped but it had some streaks of blood in it a little. i give her formula. it wasn't really runny like it normally was it was a little more firmed. idk if its because she pushed to hard or what? well today she went again same thing but no blood. after i changed her she went again a little and it had some blood. again idk if she pushed to hard . then she went later today and no blood. any help? i bf her for a month then went to formula.

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 1:28 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Formula is VERY hard on the stomach compared to breastmilk. Chances are her body is having a lot of trouble digesting the formula. Did you make an immediate switch? Quit bfing cold turkey and only gave formula? If so than that is going to wreck havoc on her digestive system. It is much easier for babies to slowly transition over several weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Call your doctor. That does not sound right. I would be scared if I ever saw blood in an infants stool never mind a newborn. My son had blood in his stool one but it was from an antibiotic and the dr switched it to something else as soon as heard that.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• May I ask why you stopped?
    PP is correct. The formula is going to be hard on her digestive system. She will get constipated if she isn't already. She will also get a lot of gas the first few weeks.
    Your breastmilk is the only thing that was specifically made for your little girl. Switching to formula will cause problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yea and I agree you shouldn't do a switch cold turkey like that at least pump and mix the two together or something. Weaning should always be slowly regardless of the reason.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 1:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2010