What color is amniotic fluid?

Im 35 weeks pregnant and I was out playing with my son today when I felt something warm come out down there and it felt watery not thick at all. So when I went inside I looked at my pantys and there was this yellowish color on them where it had come out. My first thought was ok this might just be pee but honestly I have never peed without knowing befor its going to happen lol. I have heard of some women saying that it just comes out of nowhere so its possible but its never happend as of yet unless it just started. If its not pee could it be amniotic fluid, I thought it was supposed to be more clear though? I went to L&D a little over a week ago for personal reasons and I wasnt dialated so how could I be leaking fluid if Im not dialated? Oh and it just happend that one time today and then nothing else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• could be your mucus plug
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 2:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• OP..But it wasn thick at all and was just a yellowish fluid on my pantys. I just dont want to bring it up to my doctor tomorrow if it was just me peeing. I just find it weired that I would have peed and didnt even see it coming cause usually if I cough or sneeze then I know to sqeeze my legs togeather cause its about to come out lol but I was just walking when this happend. I have no idea thats why Im asking other moms on here cause it only happend that one time today and not again so far and I think that if it was amniotic fluid that it would have happend again after that. Very confused right now
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• It really could be either pee or AF. Although AF is usually clear it can be a little bit yellowish or other colors if the baby had a BM inside you (don't think that happened). If it only happened the one time, I am more to think it is pee. The baby is dropping low so back on your bladder they go and yes it can happen without you knowing about it first.. I really don't think it is your plug tho, that is not watery it is a solid plug that can come out all at once or in pieces but still not all water.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I'm pretty sure amniotic fluid is clear, but you should mention it to your doctor. In the end of my last pregnancy I went to the bathroom one day, peed, washed my hands and was leaving the bathroom when I felt a small release of fluid. I couldn't believe it would actually be pee because it didn't feel like I had peed KWIM? Plus I had just emptied my bladder. I mentioned it to my doctor and they wanted to do a test anyway. It was just a quick swab of the area and then they sent it to be checked for amniotic fluid. There was no amniotic fluid in the sample so we determined the release I felt must have been urine. It had never happened before (in two pregnancies) and never happened again.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You need to have this checked out right away. Amniotic fluid is clear. The only way to tell if it is ammniotic fluid vs urine is to test it. A q-tip type swab is used. Some will turn colors if it is AF or they will swab a glass plate and look at it under the microscope for the pattern that is AF. The reason you need to get it checked out is if your fluid is leaking, you are at risk for developing an infection that can be very dangerous for you and baby. Also, you are premature and your Dr. will want to make sure that your baby is delivered in the setting best for your baby. At 35 weeks they made need extra oxygen, depending on lung development. I do not want to scare you but this is serious. If it is urine, no big deal the baby pushed on your bladder, but if it is amniotic fluid it is a big deal and the first 24 hours are very important to be monitored. They will monitor you for an infection starting.
    momof4treasures

Answer by momof4treasures at 7:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You are only ar risk of an infection if you start putting things in your vagina. Sometimes leaks heal. It does sound like pee to me though. You should have it checked, but no need to freak out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• because you weren't dilated a week ago doesn't mean anything, you could be zero at 8 am and 3 cm at noon.

i think it's probably urine, but it could be amniotic fluid. i would just wait and see if labor begins. and don't have sex or put your fingers in your vagina so you don't get any bacteria up there.

gl!

"
    but if it is amniotic fluid it is a big deal and the first 24 hours are very important to be monitored. They will monitor you for an infection starting.
    "

i disagree w/ this btw. infection is pretty rare unless you are putting things in your vagina. as long as you feel good & have no fever, you do'nt need to worry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Sorry guys, a risk of an infection of your water is leaking grows by the hour. Even when nothing is put into the vagina. That is why when someone is premature and they are at 35 weeks temps and blood white counts are monitored very closely. If an infection starts the baby can become ill as well. It can be very dangerous for the baby. This is why I told her that she needs to get it checked out. How do you think she would feel if something starts that could have been prevented. She is preterm and questionable ruptured membranes. She needs to be seen. I have been a Labor and Delivery nurse for more than 20 years.I have seen sick moms and babies that could have been prevented by them coming in and getting checked out. I always tell my patients, that it is better to come and get checked out and have it be nothing than sit at home and have it be something.
    momof4treasures

Answer by momof4treasures at 9:54 PM on Mar. 22, 2010