potty training outside!???

alot of people i know have been telling me to let my son pee outside to help potty train him. Just let him pee outside in the summer. like in the back yard i guess. i need some answers casue im not sure if that would be a good thing or not!?

jennifer_oakley

Asked by jennifer_oakley at 1:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son just turned two and is potty trained what i did made sure he went to the bathfoom every hour and i put underwear on him so if he did p on him self it felt gross i told him that that is a no no and it worked he still has accidents every once in a wile but he does good. good luck
    mrs.dewberry01

Answer by mrs.dewberry01 at 2:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I have potty trained both of my boys without taking them outside. I really dont approve of peeing in the back yard because that leads to peeing in the park and other random places. When we are out camping okay fine go pee on a tree or on a long road trip in the middle of nowhere great pee on the side of the road. I have met one too many little boys who have been allowed to pee outside and they just whip it out and pee when the bathroom is just inside the house. It is just my personal preference not to teach peeing in the back yard.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Huh???? Is your son a dog? No? Then why the HELL would you want to teach him that?? He needs to learn the PROPER PLACE to pee. And that place is NOT OUTSIDE!

Good lord woman! Give your head a shake!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Maybe this is a modified version of the bare-bottom method without the hassle of clean up? By that method, you help your child realize what's going on with his or her body by taking off the clothes. Maybe this would be easier if you didn't have to clean up puddles on your floor...

In any case, we trained both of our daughters by moving straight to underwear (not bare-bottom, because a lot of parents find they have a child trained and then they have to start all over with pants)... There is definitely some clean-up involved, but it's very effective. They trained at 19-20 months (our first) and my little one is 18 months and stays dry around the clock. Here's the method we used:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/562/forums/read/4235060/3_Day_Potty_Training_Post
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• who the hell would tell you to have him pee outside? He's not an animal. Use a restroom please. That is the proper way to teach him. My neighbors kids would always pee outside in their front yard as cars drove by, it is disgusting and embarassing for othem.
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 2:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My friend who has triplet boys did this, and even though it was temporarily easier, she had a terrible time breaking them from just whipping it out anywhere anytime.
    Anonymous