My 5 week old is sleeping different why?

Lately i can get her to sleep but when i put her down in her crib or pack n play she i will wake up in about 15 mins. She sleeps longer if i hold her or lay next to her. Why is that? Also sometimes when i do hold her she will only sleep for about and hour or half an hour then wake up again. She used to sleep 3 to 4 hours the first 2 weeks . Now she is up more during the day but cranky cause she is tired and when she sleeps its not for long. When she wakes up i normally make a bottle then feed her change her burp her and get her back to bed. Am i doing something to cause her to sleep like this? Any tips

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 2:25 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ur babies sleep patterns will chamge so much fior the first 3 months. right now your on her time. She doesnt know night from day yet,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• your heart beat she loves the sound of it she has heard it for nine mths and in this crazy outside world shes screaming put me back in with that beat ohh wait if mommy holds me like this i can hear it mmmm i would suggest you recording it or buy an ticking alarm clock and place in her crib with her my kids are 10 and 8 its worked for them
    RavenSwift

Answer by RavenSwift at 3:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• my son did that too for a long time, he'd just take cat naps all day, then do a big sleep at night. Could anything be bothering her--dry skin, stuffy nose, cradle cap, gas? If their skin is on the dry side, they'll be itchy/uncomfortable and for my son that's what was bothering him. I started putting lotion on him a bit more frequently like twice a day or more, but then again he had eczema.
    10Rah26

Answer by 10Rah26 at 3:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• She's a baby, it's what they do. She likes the sound of your heart beat and breathing patterns. It's all she's known for 9 months. It's comforting to her. Keep her close for now. Before you know it she'll be in high school and want nothing to do with you! LOL! Enjoy this time when you are her whole world!
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 7:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Because keeping Mommy guessing is apparently a LOT of fun. The minute you think you've figured out the whole Mom thing and tell yourself what a great mother for being on top of things....BAM! What happened???! lol
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:32 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Babies do like to feel the comfort of mom's arms and the sunggly feeling. Try swaddling her when you put her down and if you have a sleep positioner that helps too. She will put herself in a more consistent routine in time.
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 9:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My son had the EXACT same thing! He would be up all day and be cranky and scream because he was tired. Sometimes i would just have him lay on me to get him to take a nap! What i noticed one day when i was watching him take a nap was the falling reflex (arms twitch like they are falling) and it woke him up. He would only sleep for about 5 min and wake up. Try to swaddle her which will help with the falling reflex and she might fall asleep longer. My little one hated it but i heard that if you keep doing it they will finally get used to it. I had mine sleep on his belly (which i am NOT telling you to do that) because thats all i could do and he would finally sleep. The constant watching him wasn't worth it goodness i was a mess. He is 8 months now and the falling reflex disappeared when he was about 4.5 months and can sleep on his back now.
    DJsmom0725

Answer by DJsmom0725 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2010