How can I help my babies constipation?

He's 7 months old, he likes fruits and veggies but I've limited it to carrots and prunes, I put a little extra water in his formula (I'm not producing a lot of breast milk anymore) should I give him water in a bottle? nothing I do works and he just keeps getting worse. I think I'm gonna take him for the doctors this week if I cant fix it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nursing more would be your first best bet...why do you thnk you're not producing/ A lot of moms mistakenly believe their supply has dropped because they'r epumping less or their breasts don't feel full...both are NORMAL developments and don't indicate a supply problem.

Be sure you nurse BEFORE any solids. All the way to the first birthday. Solids are "dessert"...an afterthought. Giving the breastmilk FIRST is insurance that baby is getting ALL the nutrients he needs; too much emphasis on solids at this point puts you at risk of unintentionally shorting him.

Nursing first also prevents constipation.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:23 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• OK, FIRST OF ALL YOU SHOULD ALREADY BE GIVING HIM WATER... AND THOUGH WE LIKE TO START OUT ON VEGGIES, GREEN ONES NOT SWEET CARROTS... JUICE, PREFERRABLY APPLE CAN BE INTRODUCED AS WELL.. LIKE A MONTH AGO. WITH THAT BEING SAID, APPLE JUICE ALWAYS DID THE TRICK FOR MY KIDDO.
    CM2TX08

Answer by CM2TX08 at 2:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• mix prune juice(the gerber kind) with water half and half then feed him prune gerber...
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Why are you limiting the kinds of food you feed him? And you should feed him additional water..do NOT water down the formula. If you do, you are shortchanging him on the nutritional benefits of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Apple juice also helps. I also would add mineral oil to my kids' bottles. It is not harmful and is cheaper than going to the doctor. A good option to the doctor, is your pharmacist. They know what you've been taking, what the child may or may not be on and they can usually help you with any questions. They are well-versed in the meds that our docs give us...so, save your time and money from going to the doctor and look at other alternatives.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 3:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You can try changing formula -- formula tends to constipate. Increase the food variety. Tough sometimes the just aren't ready for solids and it is okay to stop and wait a bit. You can also increase your own milk production by pumping or putting him back to breast especially if you can't find an agreeable formula.

Don't water down the formula...it messes with the nutrient balance.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:48 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• What are his symptoms? That's what I really need to know in order to advise you. Is he passing dry, hard, pellet like stool? Then I'd tell you to speak to the doctor. I don't advise laxatives or suppositories, but an increase in fiber rich foods helps. DS's pedi recommended Benefiber twice a day, but my son is older then yours, so don't add anything like that without the doc's OK. If you want to get your production up, nurse as often as possible. It usually helps. And nurse before a bottle and before solids. Breastmilk is a natural laxative. I only mention this in case you want to nurse more.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2010