Is daycare really that horrible?

I need to get a job so my husband and I can move out of his parents house. it would only be part time 5 days a week. my mom keeps guilting me for it. There's nothing I can do, I don't think it's fair he has to go to a daycare but I also don't think it's fair that he would have to grow up in his grandparents house instead of his own. I'm torn here, I don't want to leave him but I kind of have to... any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Coming from someone who worked at 3 different daycares, YES!! The first one I worked at was "lower class". Most of the people who took their kids there were having their expenses paid by the state. The second one was nicer, and the third was supposed to be really nice. They charged nearly twice as much a week than the other two. It was in a nice area of town.

Not ONE of the daycare center's required me to get a drug test!! Let me repeat, NO DRUG TEST!! They did however require a TB test and to be fingerprinted.

At every daycare center the same s*** went on. Employees were going through a revolving door. The kids never got the stability of getting to know one teacher. The girls that worked there were catty.

cont

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Daycare is not horrible, yes there are bad daycares out there but that is up to you to research and find the good ones. My kids survived daycare and now that i am a sahm my dd gets excited when she can go to daycare, which she does a few days a week for an hour or two at a time.

Dont let your mom make you feel guilty, there is nothing wrong with using a daycare.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Your husband doesnt make enough to save up and for yall to move out? Thats how we did it and at that time my husband was only making like 9 an hr. And yes in my opinion day cares are horrible just from what I have seen. You cant trust people with your children thats why Im a stay at home mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• They would make fun of the kids!! At two of the places I worked with girls who were JEALOUS of the litte girls there!! They were jealous of their cute clothes and jealous of the girls who had their nails "done". One employee even called a two year old (YES A TWO YEAR OLD!!) a diva and a b****!!

The director you meet at the front door is not the one who is caring for the kids. They are up front being overly sweet to the parents and answering phones. I swore up and down I would NEVER place my kids in a daycare center after my experiences.

cont
    Anonymous

• My best solution would be to find a GOOD home daycare. Preferably a mom who has little ones at home herself.

Anonymous

• Another option, sittercity.com
    There you can find people in your area that are daycare providers or just high school or college kids that will watch your kids. I did have a bad experience with a daycare, i won't go into detail, but I also know that I can't go through life not trusting anyone to watch my kids. That is not realistic anymore. If you do hire someone to come into your home to watch the kids, buy a nanny cam, and tell them at the interview that because you are employing them that you reserve the right to drug screening. They have OTC ones now. You will have to get them to sign a release for that, but I feel that even if they sign it and say ok, that is a good sign. But, just remember....ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR GUT INSTINCT.
    clhadley

Answer by clhadley at 3:18 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I have used one center for my kids and several home daycares, the center i used was really good and they were drug/criminal checked. I only ran across one scary home daycare but I was very selective and I asked other parents who they used. I have done in home daycare as a sahm and I have several friends who run daycares. All of the children I or my friends have cared for have been treated as if they were our own, we loved them like our own and when my last baby left i was heartbroken (her dad became a stay at home dad). One of my friends actually has a waiting list because she is so popular and the kids love her.

If you investigate properly and take the time to choose wisely you will get a great daycare for your child. If yu go with the first one you come across and dont do any work to find out about it then yes you will get a crappy daycare.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:18 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I worked in a Bad Daycare do some research on the daycare that you want your child to attend NOT all daycares are bad!! But really check it out, Im in the same Position Im looking for a Job But i dont want my baby going to daycare!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I worked for a big chain daycare and yes it was bad. There was no screening of the workers. And when we had a bad worker who got fired for abusing a kid, the kids parents never found out. We had one baby that choked on something and turned blue, we saved her but the parents where not notified, (that was the day I quit). The infant room was like an assembly line. We had to change diapers every hour so you never had time to hold the babies or play with them. They were either getting fed, getting changed or in the crib. I would never allow my child to be treated like that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I have 5 kids and all have been or are in daycare. The best situations that I have found is in home daycare. I usually get a vibe about someone at the beginning and can tell if they are maternal. I've had some very good providers. I do not think you have anything at all to feel guilty for. It is good for kids to have interaction with other kids during the day! My daughter is 9 and she still remembers her babysitter. She loved her and missed her when she finally went to school.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:00 AM on Mar. 22, 2010