Toddler Ingrown Toenails?

My DS has had ingrown toenails since birth and has had them operated on twice. He turned 2 in december and they are just getting worse as he grows older. His Dr. said he had them b/c he was such a large baby and w/o extra room his toes were all scrunched up and became ingrown.
Every night at bath time I pull the skin away from the nail just as hid Dr. told me too. I also let his big toe nails grow longer so they don't become ingrown.
another thing is his toenails are so brittle and break all the time. his fingernails are fine though and nice and smooth.

has anyone else's children had ingrown toenails and what have you had done? it doesn't seem to bother him unless it gets infected.

help me Mamas! I'm so worried about another operation.

colorsofgrey

Asked by colorsofgrey at 3:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Soak your baby's foot in warm (not hot) soapy water for about ten minutes, two or three times a day. (Most babies love to splash around in water, so it shouldn't be too hard to convince him to do this.) Afterward, dry it and apply a dab of over-the-counter antibiotic ointment or cream to the problem area.

You might try gently filing the nail away from the skin. If you can, use your nails to gently lift the toenail and insert a small amount of sterile cotton or gauze between the nail and the skin. Use only enough to raise the nail slightly, and replace the cotton several times a day. (If you can't get your baby to sit still for this, try it while he's sleeping.)
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 3:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• thank you! I use the Neo on them when they get red and I pull away his skin after his bath and a few other times a day. I hardly ever put closed toe shoes on him. I also apply fingernail polish that is "acrilic strong" to his nails so they don't break as often and the Dr. gave me a thumbs up.

I will deff try the cotton trick.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 3:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I use bag balm. It softens the nail so that it is flexible. If they become infected, soak in hot epsom salt water to draw out the infection.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2010