im not getting it...

i think people dont respect me.i do go to therapy.im not crazy but i think people think i am.people talk to me like crap.i dont know if its the way i come across or really what the story is.i go to my dd sports and such and nobody talks to me. i do initiate conversations but nothing.they just huddle in there little groups.im getting older and time is moving on.any advice>>>>

cleo1977

Asked by cleo1977 at 8:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Learn how not to care about what others think. I'm currently learning this now. I never thought i cared much what others thought of me, but realized one day that i actually do & it was affecting how i deal with people. So, i learned not to give a crap. If those people want to talk bad about you, let them. That is their own fault, & it's their ugly character to deal with. Not yours. Those kinds of people are just ugly. Be glad that you are not like them, & that you don't feel the need to trash talk others to make yourself feel better. The only reason other people talk bad about one's they do not know too well, is to make themselves feel better, Obviously, those women are super insecure & probably have horrible home lives. Just be glad you are not them. Once you can start not caring what others think, your life will change for the better in so many ways.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Have you ever heard of the self -fulling prophecy? It is the process by which someone's expectations about a person or group leads to the fulfillment of those expectations. I don't mean this in a bad way but it is true that if you go into a situation with the expectation that others will not like you, then it is far more likely to happen. I suggest that you go into the next social situation with the expectation that everyone will like you or that it doesn't matter what they think. Make your agenda to have fun and enjoy the moment. Say nice things to others with absolutely no expectation of them saying anything back to you. Smile alot. Laugh and enjoy what you are doing. You will attract people if you do so. It may not happen overnight but it will happen.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• If you respected yourself you would capitalize the word "I"

I seem to attract the social inept. They come to me and tell me their life stories while I smile and nod. Meanwhile the normal people stay away. Driven off by the crazies I think. I actually had a mother tell me about her son's bowel movements while standing in front of the ice cream section at the grocery store. Do the conversations you start interest the other party or are they just waiting for a chance to escape because you are talking about poop?

Anonymous

• I'm not sure exactly how people "talk to you like crap" but you may have low self esteem. I'm sure there's really nothing wrong with you at all. Some people are too full of their own worlds they don't think of others but don't take it personally. You said you talk to people and they ignore you, but if you said more than just one or two words then they will notice you. If you understood that not everyone thinks of you badly then you may feel better within yourself. There are books you can find about building confidence and self esteem. You might also be really shy and this can make people think others don't like them.
    DaffodilFae

Answer by DaffodilFae at 12:12 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Why does anyone other than you and your therapist know you're in therapy? I can't imagine why you'd bring it up, if you're sensitive to it meaning you're 'crazy.'

Why are you talking about this with strangers, if you don't want to talk about it? Ask your therapist for help with your 'making friends' skills. I suspect you're asking inopportune questions and giving away too much inappropriate information.

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2010