On Breast feeding Vs Formula Feeding

This is meant to be cute, so try to put your pistols in their holsters for a moment :)

When my son was a new born we went on a long trip with my husband's family. We'd have to stop the car so I could nurse my son. My husband's grandmother was with us in the car and as she was 92 at the time, she couldn't just climb out of the car and stand outside while I nursed like everyone else so she sat beside me (I was covered up anyway). So, to make conversation I said "Did you breast feed your children?"

She had 6 kids (5 survived). Her youngest is in his late 40's. I will never forget her answer:

"Oh, I don't know, I think I might have breast fed some of them. I know Kathy had formula..."

She didn't even know! This woman is sharp as a tack, she can tell you exact details of every meal she's ever eaten, but can't remember if she nursed or not.

I just thought this was cute. In 60 years, maybe we won't know either!

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 9:00 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• LOL! That's funny. Maybe she didn't, but didn't want to offend you because you were.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• It's possible Raine, but she's really not the sort to pull her punches!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• LOL too cute. I hope when i get to that age I "forget" the memories of bleeding nipples, and engorgement.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• That is funny. When I was pregnant my grandmother told me about her labors (7 kids, 6 lived into adulthood) and she talked about how none of her labors really hurt. With my one uncle she was saying how she was in a room with another lady who was yelling and screaming because she was in so much pain. My grandma was writing letters and perfectly calm and the doctor comes in to check her and she was fully dilated. I'm thinking, yeah right, you just don't remember it not hurting. Although I guess if she had had really difficult and super painful labors, maybe she wouldn't have had 7 kids. LOL!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I don't know why some people, not all women, are so damn bent out of shape about BF and FF. I breastfed, I didn't care who saw, who didn't see. I saw my boobs as bottles at that point. I wish everyone would just knock it off already.
    Your husbands grandma sounds fun. Did she seem embarrassed?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Raine, I don't know if she was embarrassed or not. It was a little awkward because I was totally new to the whole BFing thing and had to keep pulling the blanket off to adjust things, but the car seat was between us and we're both tiny so we could really only see each other's heads. I think she was just glad not to have to climb down out of the giant Suburban we rented for the trip!!! It was like climbing Everest for her every time she had to get in or out!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• That's cute. Gotta love the stuff old people say sometimes! My grandma's not that old but she's a hoot too sometimes. She always thought I was weird for breastfeeding - her babies were on cow's milk from day 1 because she had to get back to work. Can't tell an old woman that doesn't work nowadays, lol!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• What a hoot! I only have 3 kids, but there are certain things I can't remember which one did what. One was born at about 4:30 am and one was about 5:30 am and I have to look it up. Can't remember. And after I look it up I still won't remember in a few months. I know exactly how much weight I gained with the first one, but with the other two it has been recorded in my brain as "a lot more." I'm constantly asking my husband now which one of them made up that silly word, who was it who did that silly thing at that party? It is sleep deprivation I think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I was so disappointed that the things my mom and older sister had forgotten when I would ask them for information. I couldn't believe they could forget so much, especially my sister who had so many opinions and made every decision deliberately.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 12:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2010