Old cat peeing on the floor

Our cat is 15 and was diagnosed a few months ago with kidney failure. He's not in pain or anything, but he is drinking water like crazy and therefore peeing a lot. He has started using the carpet instead of the litter box but I'm not sure exactly why. My husband wants to have him put down because we cannot deal with the smell and filth. I don't want to deal with it either, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or alternative suggestions to euthanasia at this point.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Pets

• At 15 the cat may not be able to hold it till he gets to the litter box, or maybe cannot find it. I would check with your vet. Perhaps you could put out more litter boxes to make it easier on the old man. I know it hurts, but sometimes putting the animal down is the most humane thing to do. I would consider his quality of life as well as any pain he may be in.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 9:12 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Talk to your vet and see if there is anything they suggest doing.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• sorry kidney failure in cats is not good at all. My got had it and we ended up having to put her down. sorry about your cat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My kitty was put down for the same thing. He couldn't hold it to the litter box and was in so much pain. Your vet can advise you, but short of kitty diapers, I don't know that you have much choice.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You might want to have him checked for a bladder infection. You might also need to put extra litter boxes in the house at differant locations.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Check with your vet. I would consider the quality of life this poor cat has and the expense of a kidney infection is costly, I know I had a cat with that. I know it will be heart breaking if you have to put her away, but put her health first and your feelings after. Good luck hon, my heart goes out to you for sure. Been there done that.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:32 PM on Mar. 22, 2010