I am about to have my second child and my daughter will turn 2 a few weeks after ,how do you handle a two year old and a infant with out wanting to pull your hair out?

lizzyboomommy

Asked by lizzyboomommy at 9:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine were closer... 15.5 months apart. But I found the early days to be MUCH easier than I expected, but my second baby was a low-maintenance baby (deserved after what we've gone through with #1!). It's the toddler and preschooler phase that makes me want to pull my hair out and do much more than that even. They're 18 months and almost 3. Eek. My general advice would be to let go of some of your standards for how you and your house will look. You may need to be in survival mode for awhile. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Wear your little one around so you can chase your toddler. Good luck. It may not be as hard as you are expecting. Though I assure you, not a day will go by that you won't ask yourself why you ever thought having just one child was a challenge!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I have 4 kids. My oldest 2 are 2 years apart, and my youngest 2 are 2 years apart. It is hard at first, but after the first few months, it gets easier. Byt he time the baby is a year, it is a lot easier than having just one baby. They are friends, and play together, keep each other busy. Make the oldest your helper, anything you need done, she can help. Throing diapers away, bathtime, burping the baby, etc. I also got my daughter a special baby doll a few weeks before I delivered, and every time I had to take care of my baby, she did the same thing with her baby. When I was nursing, we read books, or watched movies together. If you involve her, it will make the transition easier on everyone!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 9:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• agreed, it's really hard at first, your 2 yr old will backslide into wanting to be a baby herself. My 2 1/2 yr old went back to diapers and wanted to start breast feeding again - funny thing is he didn't remember how. I just relaxed and went with the flow, and gave him jobs to help me when I could. Now they are buds.
    LilacWolf

Answer by LilacWolf at 9:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My DD was 20 months old when I had my son. I thought it was tough until I had baby number 3 when my son was 20 months old. Now I have a 3.5 year old, 2 year old, and a 3 month old. You will do fine with the 2. It will throw you for a loop at first, but you will fall into a rhythm and everything will be fine. You will need a double stroller, that's for sure. If you decide you want any more kids though, wait! Having 3 thing close together is really hard.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• * I meant this close together. Sorry, toddler fighting over a crayon this morning. It's never a dull moment that's for sure. Oh, you will also need a pack and play. I had to put my toddler in it when I cooked or gave the baby tummy time, etc. or she would poke the baby's eyes or sit on him. Also watch giving your toddler snacks because they will try and feed the baby.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My first 2 are 21 months apart, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Give your oldest little jobs like getting diapers and wipes and small things like that. Also when you have the chance make sure you or daddy spend some one on one time with her, take her to the store with you, give her a bath or just read a story together. And most importantly RELAX! You don't have to be super mom and your house doesn't have to be spotless, you can worry about that later. Good luck and if you need to talk pm me.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Oh and my babies never back slid, my oldest did great she never acted like she was a baby again she grew before my eyes! Its all in how you prepare them, make sure you start preparing her now! Talk about the new baby and how you are proud of her and shes a big sister and how its going to be hard at first but that you love her no matter what and let her know she can tell you when she needs mommy time.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Chocolate. . . keeps me sane. . . My boys are 27 months apart. My older has a few "big boy" jobs like getting diapers & baby clothing, throwing diapers away, helping mommy with chores (usually doubling my work) I also try and make time to do activities with my older boy when the baby is asleep like play play-doh, finger paint, or play a "big boy" game or toy. I try to include both boys in as many activities as possible. I also try to plan ahead and have snacks and lunch pre-made (unless we are making homemade pizza) so eating is quick.

Oh, and while my older son hasn't regressed he wants to play with the baby's toys (most of which are hand me downs) and has tried to get back into his old bouncy seat and swing and has crawled under the baby gym saying "I a baby mama" I found it cute but reminded him babies down wear big boy underpants (he is potty training) and he got up.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2010