Why do they do cervix checks towards the end of your pregnancy?

I've always heard that you can walk around dilated for weeks...or go into full blown labor the next day. So, what's the point in checking your cervix if you still really have no idea when you'll go into labor. Seems kind of like false hope to me. So, is there a reason?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wondered that myself...all I can tell is it introduces bacteria in there. Other than that...who knows. I was a 1 two weeks before my due date, a 2 the week before...and 5 when I began labor two days after my due date. The only time I thinkit matters is at the end to make sure you are a 10.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:57 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• For the mom's peace of mind. Some want to know if they're going into labor soon or not
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i really don't see the point either. there are even risks to it, the exam could introduce infection! you can always say no.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Thee is no point, but have you ever known a man to just leave things alone when something can be tinkered with and they can feel useful?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• If you're not high risk, my dr leaves it up to her patient whether she wants to be checked or not. My best friend went in to be checked at 36 weeks and the dr told her she was in labor and dilated to a 6 already and she didn't even know.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Good question. Cervical checks mean absolutely nothing.

The day I went into labour with my second I was at early labour and assessment because of some bleeding after having my membranes stripped. The doctor on call said to me "you have a firmness to your cervix that tells me it will be at least another week before you go into labour". I had my first contraction as I was leaving the hospital and was back there that night to deliver my son.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 11:00 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• There really is no reason for it. It just poses an unncessary risk for infection a lot of the time. I was checked last appointment and found I was thinning. I asked because I've been having contractions. Since I wasn't dialating I am not worried, and probably won't want to be checked again.
    LilynAustin

Answer by LilynAustin at 1:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I'm guessing mostly because the women want them, there really is no point in getting checked. A lot of times it adds stress to the mothers who feel like there is something wrong with them for not making progress when it doesnt matter at all. You can go from 0 to 10 cm in a couple of hours but also walk around a couple of cm dilated for many many weeks.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:24 AM on Mar. 23, 2010