How much will the "Poor" be fined?

and if they can't pay the fines for being uninsured, do they go to jail?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• OMFG

FROM THE BBC:
    From 2014, most people will be required to obtain health insurance or face a fine of at least $695 a year or 2.5% of their income.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8160058.stm

FROM THE HOUSE WAYS AND MEANS COMMITTEE:
    * Section 7203 - misdemeanor wilful failure to pay is punishable by a fine of up to $25,000 and/or imprisonment of up to one year.
    * Section 7201 - felony wilful evasion is punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment of up to five years.
    http://republicans.waysandmeans.house.gov/UploadedFiles/JCTletter110509.pdf
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:41 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• The fine is administered by the IRS. Failure to pay the fine is tax evasion. Penalties for tax evasion are additional penalties of thousands of dollars, they can put liens on your property, and depending on how much you owe, you can serve jail time. The fine is also not "set in stone" and one of those things we had to pass the bill to see what was in the bill, as Pelosi put it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I thought it was something around 2,500. Yes, you can go to jail.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I don't understand why would people who can't afford heath insurance be fined? I mean if you can't afford the insurance, how are you going to afford the fine? Seems absurd to me.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:18 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

It is absurd because it's not true. Don't believe the hype. Poor people will have thier insurance subsidized to help them pay. They will not be fined or put in jail. That is just yet another scare tactic.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 10:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• It is absurd because it's not true.

Stop lying. You have proven repeatedly all weekend that you don't have the first damn clue what you are talking about.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• 9:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 by: trippyhippy
    I don't understand why would people who can't afford heath insurance be fined? I mean if you can't afford the insurance, how are you going to afford the fine? Seems absurd to me.

It is absurd because it's not true. Don't believe the hype. Poor people will have thier insurance subsidized to help them pay. They will not be fined or put in jail. That is just yet another scare tactic
    *********************
    I agree. ....and they are scaring themselves. Kinda sad.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Right now the fine is set at 2.5% of your adjusted gross income. Doesn't matter if you make $10,000 or $100,000
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• So... as a single mom of three, if I make $400 a week, or $1,600 a month... this is how it breaks down:

Rent- $700
    Water - $70
    Car insurance- $50
    Electricity- $200
    Phone/cable/internet (I work from home) $130
    Food- $400

That is $1,550 per month. Which leaves me a whopping $50 for the gas tank!

I’ve applied for government benefits and was told I was “Over income”

SO… HOW as I supposed to pay $200 a month for the new bill??

I Guess I'll be one of the first in Jail! Then all the tax payers can pay for my kids in the foster system and for my three sqaure meals day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2010