Okay this isnt working anymore...HELP!?! 4Month old and Sleep!

Okay, for those of you who will tell me that I am wrong for wanting to put baby on a schedule, you know where you can stick it <~~~~ srry i'm just really sleepy.

I have a 4 month DD. Its not that I am FORCING her to sleep, its that she sleeps, but at the most inoppurtune time. DD will go night night... at 7 in the MORNING!!! Thats the time I get up and get the boys ready for school and start handling business for the day. She'll sleep from 7am - 2/3pm straight. She may wake for a feeding once, but more often than not, she's out. How How How can I get her to sleep at NIGHT? Do I wake her up during the day? If so how do you keep a 4 month old awake long enough for it to make a difference.

I really need some help here moms. DD has been this way for 3 weeks and its starting to become an issue.

So please HELP!?!?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have to go about things slowly. If youkeep her awake too much during the day you will produce and over tired baby that won't sleep AT ALL.

Keep activity going during the day. It helps if you can wear the baby in a sling or wrap so that your movements and the activity around you are stimulating. The problem with putting the baby in an infant seat when you want to do this is that people tend to put the baby in them to sleep and you want to keep her more stimulated than that. I'm a fan of the floor if I have to put the baby down for a couple of minutes. The find it really fascinating down there. If the baby falls asleep, let her but keep up normal activity and sounds.

At night, switch to mellow behavior. You don't have to be mouse quiet but keep the lights and a reasonable level, do more mundane tasks, swaddle and put her in her favorite spot to sleep. Don't force it. If she doesn't fall asleep then
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:19 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• try your best to keep her awake during the day. I know with little ones that is not always the easiest to do. If the weather is nice take her out on a blanket. That worked for my son. He had his days and nights mixed up for a while. She will probably adjust herself as she gets a little older, but YOU may not last very much longer lol! At that age they still need a good bit of sleep...2 naps a day. My son didn't sleep all night til almost a year. It was really hard on me. You may just have to get yourself some cat naps in while she is sleeping during the day. Whatever you decide with a schedule (which is good even a 4 mths) just be consitent.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You could also try stripping her down naked when you see her getting sleepy during the day. That wakes some kids up. Talk to her hold her sitting up. Things like that. Even try waking her up after about 4 or 5 hours. At night, always keep it dark, quiet and without much commotion. Don't talk to her at night. Just feed her or change her with dark and no noise. Make it a point to bath her and rock her a little right before you want her to go to sleep at night. Put her to bed when she is dozing off, but, not fully asleep. Try to see about how long she goes between feedings and wake her up during the day when she has been asleep that length of time.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Wake her during the day, not forever, but for a little while. Expose her to good natural light. Then put her down for a nap after 2 hours. Then up again, with good natural light. Then try putting her down for a nap again after she's been up 2 hours. At night, just try keeping things dark, calm, quiet.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:09 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I agree with trying to keep her up for short periods of time (about 2 hours), then putting her down for a nap. After a couple of hours napping - wake her up and repeat :) Around 6:30/7pm, start a bedtime routine - - do the same thing every night (for example: bath, diaper, nurse/bottle, story, in bed with blankie or lovey). Keep her room dark and quiet - - you can try white noise, like a fan blowing on high towards the wall. It will take some time, but getting used to having a daytime and nighttime routine will help her in the long run.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Try again in a little while. It is going to take some time since the baby seems to have night and day mixed up. Natural light during the day helps a lot so get outside when you can. Open the shades and windows.

I don't think it is a good idea to have an inflexible routine...you will just be trading one set of issues for another. And too much bathing can dry out a baby's skin. There are nice things you can do, but don't do the same thing over and over for bed time or nap time as then you will run into the issue of having a baby go into a huge meltdown if something happens and you can't do the routine or need to leave the house. I am a believer in lettign a baby sleep anywhere and everywhere and following their NATURAL pattern and work with it rather than fighting it. It is so important to find out your baby's natural sleepy patterns.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:24 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I always woke mine up at least every 3 hours to eat during the day. I would keep them up as long as they were happy and playing. When they started to get fussy I would snuggle them for a little, sing a couple songs, and then lay them down - still awake in their cribs. I did this from birth and they had times where they might fuss for a minute or two, but never long because they were used to it. At night, I would let them sleep as long as they would. They all were sleeping through the night by 2 months.
    All 4 of mine were schedule babies as well. Of course, it was more of a flexible routine but it helped me to know when it was best to plan my errands, appointments, etc. I noticed when they would start to get tired, made a mental note of that in relation to their feeding times and made a schedule from that. I am a firm believer in schedules for kids of all ages! Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 12:44 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Make sure you're not tiptoeing around the house in the daytime. Keep your normal daytime activity levels and keep nighttime quiet.

Once you get the older kids off to school, if you ABSOLUTELY cannot get baby to stay up, take a nap yourself. The housework will WAIT...no one is going to put "World's Best Housekeeper" on your tombstone and you'll NEED that tombstone sooner if you don't drop that which isn't absolutely needed for survival. (Housework doesn't qualify!)

Amilee gave you some GREAT suggestions. Hang in there!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:20 PM on Mar. 22, 2010