I'm sick of hearing this!

My daughter is 18 months and is in underwear around the clock. She hasn't had an accident in 5 days, and I only take her to the bathroom when she asks to go.

In the past 3 days I have had THREE different people tell me she's too young to be in underwear. How is it possible that she is too young when she is wearing underwear and keeping it dry?!! One was the nursery worker at church -- she said "you're supposed to wait until about 2.5." Another was a woman at the park: "That child is too young not to have a diaper! She's a baby!" Another was in the restaurant bathroom: "you know, if you wait until your child is ready you don't have to lug around a potty ring. My daughter just used the big toilet from day one!"

Why can't people mind their own business? And why is there such a widespread belief that it's somehow cruel and inhuman to train an 18 month-old to use the potty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Personally I think that is awesome. I think people have trouble thinking outside their bubble.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• girl, if she's doing it, be grateful and let her do her thing. what those ppl don't realize is that each kid is different and they develop at different intervals. it's not going to traumatize her to pee and poop in a potty and she's able to communicate it to you, and that is the main sign ppl usually look for when wanting to start potty training. GL with the potty training, sounds like your doing great already!
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Wow they are stupid. Good for you that she's already there, forget them.
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i heard the comments as well when my son was 18 months and did not want to wear a diaper he wanted to be potty trained. I just ignored them and let him do his thing.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You should ignore them and just keep on doing your thing and letting her go.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• That's fantastic that your DD is potty training already! 18 months is the general age where they are aware of the signals their bladder sends their brain saying "hey! I'm full in here! Gotta evacuate!" lol. I know a 19 month old that's almost completely potty trained. If anyone gives you any greif, just tell them that you're saving the earth...one less diaper at a time! lol.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• That's a good retort... saving the earth. I do feel a bit greener these days :)
    Thanks for your support. I really try not to get strangers' comments get to me, but I guess no one likes to feel judged. It's just crazy to me that people really feel the need to speak out about this!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• 18 months is too young. I bet you had her in a toddler bed at 12 months and are trying to get her to read, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You must be doing something right!!! forget what others say, you one lucky mom!

Answer by older at 11:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Anon11:03 -- thanks for demonstrating what I mean. BTW, she's still in a crib. And reading? She's not reading herself yet, but we read her War and Peace. Just kidding. Yes, she's little! Yes, she can use the potty! So what!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Mar. 22, 2010