My DD is allergic to peanuts, does anyone know of a good substitute for peanut butter?

My 17 month old DD is allergic to peanuts and my older daughter can't have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches anymore. Does anyone know of a substitute for peanut butter I can use? I heard there is a sunflower spread that is good but I don't know who makes it or where I can buy it? Thanks.

momof2girlz33

Asked by momof2girlz33 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YES! Sunflower seed butter. If there's any chance there's a Trader Joe's in your are, they definitely have it. But I'm sure health food stores like Whole Foods would have it, too. My 18 month-old is allergic, but my 3 year-old who used to eat peanut butter sandwiches all the time now eats this and doesn't even know the difference. You will know the difference of course.. but it's not bad stuff.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:28 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Here is a recipe for it:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sunflower-Seed-Spread/Detail.aspx
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Nutella is not a safe substitute unless you've had her tested and you know that she's not allergic to tree nuts. And it's chocolaty, so it's not much like pb. Almond butter is closer, but again, tree nuts... My daughter has not been tested for tree nuts but we're just assuming, just to be safe.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:30 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Some health food store have pumpkin seed butter. It looks weird though because it's kind of green.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:32 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My kids LOVE sunflower seed butter. You just have to check the label to make sure they aren't proceesed in the same plant as peanut butter. I've been getting ours at Trader Joe's, but have found it at Ingles as well with the right label for peanut allergies.

Good Luck!!
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• almond butter is a good alternative. But check with your ped. She could have other alergies. The problem is that alot of places that produce different nut butters also manufacture penuut butter or other penut products as well.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Sun butter is what Ds likes. Soy butter is gross. go to www.peanutallergy,com It helped me alot.
    Anonymous

• sunbutter, if you google and go to their site, they will tell you what stores carry it.
    Anonymous

• Soy nut butter. That's what I give my daughter. It's made with soy beans - no nuts or seeds at all. I bought some at Target. Yes, it doesn't taste as good as peanut butter, but my daughter's never had peanut butter, so she doesn't know.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2010