Who is right?

Long story where to begin, LOL. Well basically my husband's aunt (my father in law's sister) and her boyfriend have been in a bad rut. They both lost their jobs and are being evicted Wednesday without anywhere to go, lost their truck (couldnt make payments) were borrowing money from people here and there. (from family). A couple of months ago they borrowed $35 from said father in law. They haven't paid him back yet. This bothers father in law very much. He does NOT like his sister's boyfriend. They just TODAY got jobs after searching high and low.Well, I was painting my house recently (inside) and there were some tall walls that was too much work for me so we hired the husband's aunt and her boyfriend to do it for $100. We still owe them $35 for it. Father in law and hubby insist I give it to father in law to clear their debt to him. I say no way we owe THEM MONEY for WORK THEY DID. It's not the same.

threeeunder3

Asked by threeeunder3 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You are right. That would be the same as my boss taking money out of my check (without a CO or garnishment) because I owe money to my credit card. It doesn't work that way. You pay them what you owe them, if they choose to use it to pay FIL..good for them. If not, there's nothing you can do.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 10:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You are right! Don't get involved with other peoples money issues, especially family.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:45 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I think THEY should tell you to give it to father in law to clear the debt, but it is not your place to do that for them. If they told you to do it, then I would, but not b/c hubby and father in law tell you to.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:47 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I agree with you. Let FIL handle his own problems with them. At least they are trying to help themselves...... You said you's pay them $100 and you should if they did the job you hired them to do. JMO

zbee

Answer by zbee at 10:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• If you give it to your fil, they will just need more help that much sooner. I'm sure they need the whole hundred in the worst way. Tell fil that when you loan money to family you must always be ready to call it a gift with no hard feelings. It probably hurt them tremendously to even ask him and now when they are trying to work and get out of the hole, it would just make for bad blood. Now that they are working, he should get his money soon. You know there's always a bit of a lag between getting hired and getting that first check and there are gasoline and food expenses connected with starting a job that they probably need the hundred dollars for.l
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:57 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• All this over $35? Wow..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yes you are right about the expenses. Thanks for your input. It's family and they needed help so badly. her brother gave them money for 3 months rent but she took the money and instead got a truck with it. I understand that reasoning because they desperately needed a truck (it was part of their business) and their other truck was repo'd. Without a vehicle it is so difficult to get where you need to go. City bus does not run everywhere. But at the same time it was really shady to not use the money for its intended purpose. So hubby and FIL are tiffed about that BUT that's not our business its between brother and sister. I hope they DO pay back FIL so he STFU. If we were down on our luck my family would never treat us like that. I feel bad for them. Luckily they don't have any kids, but FIL can be selfish. He has to sit in "his seat" when we eat at his house BUT when he comes over here he gets whiny and pissy if (cont)
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• (cont from above) if he doesn't sit in the seat he wants to sit in at the end of the table (which coincidentally is MY SEAT) and at his house I have to sit in the damn bar stool at the table because there arent enuff seats. Anyways, thats just an example here LOL of how he is sometimes. This is your freaking sister! It's $35! I dont wanna get involved in this shit.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I think you're right- if they did work they you pay them and stay out of the rest of it-
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• You could always be honest with the aunt. Tell her that you realize that you still owe her $35 and would be more than happy to give it to her if she really needs the money now. But if she can survive until her next pay check without it that it would be nice if she gave it to your FIL or you gave it to him for her so he STFU. Then she knows that she is causing a problem with her insistence to use the money he lent her for a different purpose and that he is still making noise about it.  Let her know that he is being a brat and that you don't like being in the middle.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2010