Should I enroll my child in preschool?

I have a toddler and am wondering if I should enroll my child now or teach him as much as possible at home and wait until he needs to go to kindergarden. I don't care for the public schools in my area, as well as worried about transmitted illnesses. On the other hand, my child doesn't have siblings and we spend most of our time together, so I want him to be able to get socially acclimated, or will there be plenty of time, once he starts kindergarden, to adjust?

mia143

Asked by mia143 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a 4 yr old DD and i wasent sure about sending her to pre- k either but i did and she has learned so much and has made friends. so i would say give it a try
    gfam6

Answer by gfam6 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• If you are worried about the schools in your area, maybe you could teach him at home and then do things to get him out and around other kids. This summer (just around the corner) take him to swimming lessons and/or sign him up for the classes that most cities offer for children. There are so many ways to get him together with other kids. Does your church have an active pre-schoolers program? If you don't go to church, maybe you could check them out and find one that your friends attend. Just some suggestions.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• children who have a preschool experience fare much better in kindergarten because they have adjusted to the seperation from their parents and the routine/schedule of a school
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I send all of mine (I have 3) at 4 years old so they go right into kindy from there. There are some things you just can't prepare them for at home, school is about more than just academics. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My 2 yo goes to MDO 3 days a week. She LOVES it. It has been so good for her. Mainly for the social aspect. I still do a lot at home with her, but she has gotten so much out of being around other kids without mommy there. About the illness, yes, she has gotten sick a little more often. But I finally realized that she will either get sick more now, or when she goes to kindergarten. I think it would be a valuable experience, but only if you're comfortable with it. :)
    MagnoliaQueen

Answer by MagnoliaQueen at 12:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2010