Do you have the interests of the Republic at heart, or do you just want to win?

What do you think of this quote? "

One of the deadliest things a republic can do is allow one group or faction to put it's interests not before the interests of others but before the interest of a functioning republic. If one side stops accepting that the other gets a turn at the helm, then there is no solution but conflict, and if one side stops accepting the results of that conflict as played out with votes then it must be played out with guns and ammunition"

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 10:45 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it was very well stated. Reminds me of the tea party signs I saw yesterday threatening gun violence on a rep. if he voted for HCR.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 10:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Well, I would not subscribe to that theory but you never know.
    It's funny how people think there is just no way in this day and age we could actually have a war within our borders. Why do people think "war" is a thing of the past. Wars are caused by terrible injustices all over the world.
    Maybe not a full fledged war but why is it so hard to think the US might go the way of a Greece or a Europe where violence is used? Push people to the edge and who knows what will happen.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

Yeah, because that's a way better analogy than a political party forcing through legislation that 54% of the population opposes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yeah, because that's a way better analogy than a political party forcing through legislation that 54% of the population opposes.

Did you even read the question. My example was a perfect example. People threatening gun violence because they don't like who was voted in or their policies.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 10:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Did you even read the question.

Yeah, did you? Because congress voting in direct opposition to the majority of their constituents is putting their own special interests before the best interest of a functioning republic. By definition, a congress that violates the wishes of the people is a non-functioning republic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yeah, did you? Because congress voting in direct opposition to the majority of their constituents is putting their own special interests before the best interest of a functioning republic. By definition, a congress that violates the wishes of the people is a non-functioning republic

Well then you better start loading those guns then. I for one will be loading mine in defence of my government.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 11:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I think that the parties specific always want to win, however they aren't really looking out for the best interest of the republic. If they were, they wouldn't fill bills with special interest pork that we all end up paying for. I prefer to have checks and balances in government, regardless of who is in control. You know what they say.

"Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it; and this I know, my lords, that where laws end, tyranny begins." ~ William Pitt

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." ~  Lord Acton

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:57 AM on Mar. 22, 2010