Athiests, question for you..

Do you think those that believe in God are wasting their time, or are dumb for believing?? I am curious what you think..I am a believer of God, and a Christian..My BFF is Atheist but she never says I'm dumb for believing, but others have and even gone as far to say that i'm just believing a fairytale, and of course I'm still going to believe that won't change that, but I wanted to know what your thoughts were..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, not at all. I find religion to be a very personal choice, and what works for some won't work for others. We all have different paths in life, and I would find it stupid and a big waste of time for me to go around judging other people for the paths they are on.

Besides, I was once a Christian, and I don't regret those years at all. The experience helped mold me into the person I am today.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• i dont think its a waste of time or stupid. (im a non-traditional satanist) i dont agree with those beliefs but i would never tell someone their stupid for believing that way. i hate when people tell me im wrong/stupid for being a satanist, so i would never make someone feel bad about their beliefs.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I'm going to be honest and say yes. I'm not going to apologize for thinking it either.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Thank you and these answers are making me more and more ticked at this person that told me this..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I believe it's more of a comfort item for some people. They are afraid of the unknown and create stories to fill in the blanks. Once things become scientifically explainable (for example that eclipses aren't based on displeasure of god(s)) then they rewrite their religious history to account for that. I believe that many things that are unknown now will be explainable in the future and eventually religion will go the way of the dinosaur. Basically I believe that religion will evolve itself out of human culture when eventually it is no longer needed. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I'm agnostic and believe a little bit from many different faiths. I just feel its ridiculous to believe word for word the bible, and say it all is the word of god, and to live your life by it. I don't like how Christians think they have the right answer and are the only ones to be saved and living correctly, that just is not true!

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 11:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I think that if your belief helps you, or benefits you in some way, than it is not a waste of time for you. It would, however, be a waste of time for me to pretend to believe in something I do consider to be a fairy tale.

My sister believes in god, mostly because she has a disabled daughter, and her belief gives her strength and hope. That is not a waste of time, nor is it stupid. It's simply her way of coping with a bad a situation.

What is a waste of time, and pretty stupid too, is trying to make others conform and adhere to your beliefs. So long as you keep your beliefs between you and your god, I have no problem staying out of them.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I honestly can't understand how anyone can choose faith over logic and fact.  However I can't really know who is right, if indeed any of us are.  So I have a great deal of respect for my Christian friends and their faith and in return they have always shown me and my beliefs a great deal of respect.

I am only disrespectful to people who are disrespectful to me. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Nope, I'm sure they each have their own reasons for believing. I do wish however that they would stop trying to tell me why I should believe as they do based on reasons they imagine up based on the lifestyle they THINK I lead just because I do not believe in god. For example, alcoholic, druggie, hating everything and everyone. Or the age old "Choosing to not believe in god so I don't have to be held accountable for my actions" bull. For me God is simply not a logical possibility. However, not all understand logic in the same manner as our brains are all wired differently.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• No if it makes you happy than it is not a waste of time. So for you it is great. The only problems I have is when others are expected to live to a standard based on laws written by a faith they do not believe in. If you are not an orthodox jewish woman but our country some how became 80% orthodox jew would you be okay with laws being passed saying your hair has to be covered at all times? I just don't get how people can want laws written by their faith (not that you do) and do not realize how bad that can back fire for them if their faith was no longer the majority.

Anonymous