Psoriasis

My husband has psoriasis. It's mainly on his scalp. He itches, and itches and itches. He doesn't have health insurance so drags his feet to go to the doctor. He has gone to his regular physcian before and the things they tried did not work. And he didn't want to waste more money to go back. Any suggestions? Or just send him to a dermatologist?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Health

• I have been battling it for years - mine is ankles to knees, and my hands (finger tips to wrists are bleeding and cracked - I wear gloves 24/7)

I've tried all the medications and creams and ointments - including the tar based. yuck. We did straight cortisone shots into the worst of my breakouts as well - cleared it for a day or so.

did the UV treatment.

nothing worked until I found a book on how to heal it without medication. yeah...right....lol

it was based on changing your diet. I didn't want to restrict myself to the extreme's that the book suggested but after doing a TON of research I found that this method is a LOT like clean eating. I went clean (www.eatingclean.com) in November and for the first time ever I took off my gloves. it worked, not as great as anticipated, so I also went gluten free (*whine sob*). that helped as well, as did cutting back the dairy and red meat.

message me if you need more
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:31 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• We have several people in our family with psoraisis. The best help is sunlight. Pure unadulterated sunlight. UV lights will work in the winter . My BIL built a closet with UV lights so he could 'take lights' 15 minutes each day. T-Gel shampoo for the scalp helps to varying degrees on different people. It also can not help at all with one treatment...then work wonderfully the next . If you have the money for Derm. by all means let them advise you. Basically it is common sense. My nephew buzzed his hair short so the sun could better penetrate. It isn't something that will just go away. Your biggest fight will be keeping the itch controlled so they don't scratch and cause secondary infection. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2010