No deli meats while pregnant? really?

I understand the whole "its better to not eat sushi, tuna fish, raw or fried eggs" but deli meats? So, I'm stuck with PB&J? Which is fine, but I'd like to have SOME verity. (i suck at spelling - sorry) :-)
Any suggestions? Also, are there any other foods I should avoid? I haven't been to my first OB appointment yet (3/31) and I'm a first time mom - so any help would be appreciated.

Laurenmommy918

Asked by Laurenmommy918 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Hmm, I haven't been pregnant in 3 years, but for all of my pregnancies it was ok to eat deli meats if you heated them first. Ask your doc about that. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I NEVER heard no deli meats. I ate them while preggo and my son is perfectly fine! Sushi is the only thing I was told to steer clear of. Obviously you want to avoid fast foods as much as possible so your not gaining a crap load of extra weight like I did.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:04 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Really the Nitrates are dangerous for every one, but especially when you are pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• its the chemical edditives that are dangerous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• oops- additives
    Anonymous

• they do make all natural deli meats now, if the nitrates are the problem.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Damn, I'm so glad I had my kids when I did. Son is 16 and daughter is almost 11. I ate what I wanted to
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• deli meats because there's a higher bacteria risk, and the nitrates are icky (but oh so yummy). but the deli meat they're really referrring to is pepperoni, and salami and stuff like that - roast beef sliced and not processed, sliced chicken or turkey breasts those are perfectly fine. same with ham.

you CAN eat eggs!!! not sure where you got THAT one...they just have to be fully cooked.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Actually the reason for no deli meats is Listeria (a bacteria that can effect you and your unborn baby.. Please see attached link

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Why not just eat regular meats...chicken, beef, pork and occasional fish? And some fresh fruits and veggies. A little cheese and yogurt and milk. Some whole grains like brown rice, whole wheat bread.... You can eat tons.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2010