• In the Spotlight:

What would you consider "stocking up"

a week of food

a month of food

6 months worth of food

6+ months worth of food

--------------------

personally, I always keep at least 1 week of food in the house. If a disater hit, we might be able to strech it to two weeks, but no longer than that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I can make it two weeks off what we have. It wouldn't be what we want lol, but right now we could go another 2 weeks. I ALWAYS have a good stock of rice, dried beans, and canned foods on hand, and usually a lot of frozen veggies and normally 4-5 lbs of meat in the freezer. BUT, to me "stocking up" would mean to have a months worth of supplies to include bottled water in case of emergency. We had to do that when we lived in Guam, because of the chance of typhoons and earthquakes (we had 2 major earthquakes 7.0 and higher and 1 typhoon while we lived there in 2 years), so THAT is what stocking up means to me!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:42 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I don't stock up. We live in a small apartment and have no room for a month's worth of extra food. Maybe a week's...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• rolling on floorBeauty supplies- makeup, hair stuff.... LOL

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I usually keep about 2 - 3 weeks worth of food in the house. That being said, we probably would not be eating what we wanted at the end of that time, but we would still be able to eat.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• 3 months. Every month check expiration dates and cycle out what's expiring soon to a shelter or pantry. The sales run in 3 month cycles, so it's the cheapest way. Toiletries have a longer shelf life, and medicine needs to be checked twice a year. We aren't planning for the end of the world, but the stockpile has put food in my child's stomach on more than one occasion since DH's business dropped off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• At any given time we have at least 3 - 4 months of food. I garden and shop the farmer's market during summer months. I can or freeze my veggies & fruits. I have a deep freeze so that I can stock up on meats when they are on sale. This really cuts down on the food bill. Should our financial situation change for the worst, I know I can feed my kids. I've also been able to help out friends when they've needed it.

I also stock up on cleaners & toiletries when they are on sale & I have coupons.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:25 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I would like to stockpile at least a months worth of supplies. But at least 3 mo worth of perscriptions on hand.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I need more TP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Shelf stable milk is another thing to add to your stock pile that most people don't think about.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I have a months worth of food on hand at all times. When my hubby starts to seem unhappy at his job, I double or even triple my stockpile. I've never once thought he was going to lose his job soon and been wrong. Unemployment DOES NOT cover our bills and it takes at least two weeks to get significantly more hours at work.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:11 PM on Mar. 22, 2010