What do you do when family gives nicknames you don't like to your child?

We are expecting a boy in August. We are naming him Kaden Douglas. Yes Douglas is from my husband and and my husbands dad. Someone mentioned calling him Mikey, WTH, how do you get that out of Kaden? Both my husband and I don't like it or Junior. Those were 2 of the nicknames they mentioned that we absolutely can't stand. I didn't mind Kade or little D. How do you tell them not to call them certain things? I believe its our child not theirs. Thanks in advance for the advice!!! :)

DAH02

Asked by DAH02 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've been dealing with that for about 4 years now ;) my inlaws gave my son what I consider to be a very redneck nickname. Luckily though, just in the last few months my son has told his Granny that "only PaPa can call me that! You call me Christopher!" LOL it made my day! :D So apparently only my FIL can call him the nick name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• emphasize that his name is KADEN. every time someone uses a nickname CORRECT THEM! annoying yes, but eventually they will (I hope) get it.

thats what they did with my girls. My oldest is Susanne - they all shortened it to Susie...and we just had to keep telling them, no its SUSANNE. even to this day she will correct someone who calls her by a nickname. Same with our middle Victoria. Not Vicky - its VICTORIA.

They didn't even TRY giving our third a nickname - she's Elizabeth.

just keep to your guns and correct them every time.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:35 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yeah, that is part of how I picked names. I dont like nicknames really. I liked Victoria, but I HATE Vicky. So we didnt even try it. I would just keep saying over and over again the name you want them to go by....correct them if you have to. You can do it in a fun way too...like when they are little.....I sometimes "talk for" my daughter. So you could be like, "say no.....my name is Kaden, uncle so and so" as if your kids is actually saying it, but be looking at your son when you say it. It would be easier for me to show you that than type it on here. ha ha. Just keep trying. Once he is born they may back off anyway. my BIL wanted me to name my daughter Lacey. Nothing wrong with the name, but if someone passionately offers a name to me, it tends to turn me off of that name even if I would have liked it had I found it on my own. So he would call her lacey sometimes, but doesn't anymore.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• When our kids were born my hubs and I made it very clear to the family what our boys names were, and they were to be called by those names! My mil was famous for calling my child "The Baby" and I would speak up and say "his name is XXX. My CAT is named Baby" Then she would get a sourpuss look on her face, but finally learned to call him by his real name.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:31 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My son's name is Mitchell. Before he was born, my FIL once referred to him as "Mit." I thought that was the dumbest nickname ever. Luckily, my hubby was right on board and said, "What?! That is a ridiculous nickname!" and he's never used it since.

Unfortunately, some people will call other people whatever they want, no matter what name their mama gave them.

(I agree that that calling a child Mikey when his name is Kaden really is stupid...)
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 12:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My DD is named Kayden. Funny your DS's middle name will be Douglas..That was my ex husbands name. lol! My ExMIL used to want to call DD Kadiedid! Like she was a freaking insect! WTH?! I hated it! Or she calls her by her first and middle name...Kayden Michelle..in the most annoying baby voice ever. I've always called her my Lubb bug, or Lady bug. DD calls her self a Lady Bug Tinkerbell fairy! lol! But I agree..if his name is Kaden...call him Kaden!! GL!
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Your kid, his name. I would insist out of respect for you and your child that they don't call him names you don't agree with..it is just rude. My name is Susan...I HATE when people automatically shorten it to Sue UGH
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• We had the same problem with our son's name. His First name is Robert, but DH and I decided to call him Robbie. The family didn't like it and started calling him Bobby. I can't stand that nickname! Now that he's older, he will correct people when they don't address him as either Rob, Robert or Robbie. I love seeing my sister's face when he corrects her! Talk about a sour puss expression! lol
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 12:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2010