looking for advice from someone who potty trained a younger child

My daughter loves going potty and hasn't pooped in a diaper in a month. We're working on peeing on the potty now. I know she has a good bladder capacity because she is dry after naps and most mornings. I think we've gone as far as we can with the pull-ups, though. She tells me as she's peeing in them, but not before. I think we need to go to underwear to get her to realize that the potty is the way to go. Where do you find underwear small enough for a petite 17 month-old? How long did you have to help your child on and off the little potty chair?

And one more question... has anyone used rewards with a young one? With my 3 year-old boy we used stickers, but I don't think she will respond to that kind of thing. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The underwear thing is tough. We found some Hanes 2-3Ts that were smaller than the other 2Ts, and some Elmo ones from Target even smaller than that, but I've looked for them recently and couldn't find them. Wash on hot a couple of times and you'll get them to shrink a bit. But I don't think you'll get a perfect fit.. no biggie.

The only reward we used with our daughter at 17 months was praise... and reading books on the potty. And flushing. All that made it enticing enough. But I think you're right that you need to move to underwear to take it to the next level. We did eventually do one jelly belly each time she would actually ask to go potty (rather than peeing when placed there). It took a couple of days for her to get the connection between the act and the reward, but she got it I'm not sure how much it helped. Just moving to underwear and gently helping her achieve success and praising her for it should go a long way.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I used waffle undies - not sure what to call them. they're gerber brand trainers - insulated waffle fabric.

should be in the baby section - found mine at walmart with the onsies and other gerber stuff.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• well my 20 month old isnt potty trained yet. but we're on our way. i just bought her elmo underwear at target. the smallest was size 2T. i washed them, and they shrunk up a little bit and will work just fine. she weighs 23lbs and is 33" tall. also, my dd has always loved stickers! we have a drawer of them and i always give her a sheet to play with. she takes them and sticks them on her shirt and brother and stuffed animals. so i wouldnt necessarily say that your 17 month old is too little for stickers. and if you only give her one after she pees or poops in the potty, i think she will understand. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• We are potty training out 18 month old boy. We haven't found underwear small enough for him. he is under 25 lbs and the SMALLEST i can find is 27+ lbs (that is XS). But, we haven't tried babies r us or anything, so they might have them there. Of course try rewards! Maybe she will associate going potty in the big girl potty with a chocolate chip and be all for it. But you can't rush her into it... she is still young! Mine POTTYs in the potty, but won't poop. lol.. i think he is scared. It is just a matter of persistence. Good luck!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/392573/Im_sick_of_hearing_this
    Maybe she can give you some pointers.

Answer by older at 11:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Ok, here I am (I posted the question mentioned above): In my experience rewards aren't very effective at that age. I don't see anything wrong with using them if they work for you, but she really just wants to make you happy. Applause, smiles, kisses, general excitement should do the trick. It sounds like you're on the right track... you can tell that she can do it (and she certainly sounds physically capable with her dry naps), so you are showing her that from now on, she'll use the potty. Just keep helping her until she gets it. She will.
    Anonymous