my son and i where just baptised and the rest of the family hates it.i'm happy so is my son.i don't know what to do.

my husband and parents and my older kids don''t understand why we where baptised ,we are converts and i know i did the right thing.but they are mad and they make me feel really bad.

stacy144

Asked by stacy144 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well it's not up to them. So long as you aren't demanding that they get baptized too it shouldn't matter,
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• dont let them get you down. Some of my family were upset when i became a JW, but you have to know that you have pleased our heavenly Father and that's what's important, also that you are happy. You've made a huge commitment and it truly is a blessing. Youre family will get over it, you're not doing anything wrong. Congratulations!
    Anonymous

• My mother in law came to our baptism (hubby and I) and cried the whole time. She had asked permission from her priest to come and he gave her a stern warning not to say anything, not to pray when we do, or sing along. She was to sit quietly and not say a word. I think he scared her. Afterward she told us she would rather we not believe in God at all rather than be a non-catholic.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Congrats, sister!!! That is AWESOME! I don't know if anyone told you, but what you did is piss off satan, and you are now a larger target. Things probably won't get "easier"--but you DO have God and Jesus to lean on when Satan launches his attacks. One attack is now your family being unsupportive. But you DID what is right by you and God. Hopefully your husband will realize what's up and will learn and want to be baptized too, so you will be equally yolked. You are up for some hardships and roadblocks, but it will be so worth it when heaven comes along!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Ignore your family, as long as your husband and your are in agreement thats all that matters. Don't discuss it with the rest of your family.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Im sorry they are not being supportive. No one likes that. You are just going to have to focus on your happy feelings. Think about the good you feel did instead of their negativity. You can always pray and let it rest in Gods hands. Best wishes to you.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:29 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• I don't discuss religion with my family. Perhaps you could try that avenue? since everyone agreed to disagree it makes being together so much more pleasant for everyone!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:59 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Your spirituality is your business, and as long as you're happy with it, no one can say anything. I would hope that a family would understand and respect the deeply personal significance of faith, and I'm sorry that you're having so much negative feedback, rather than the positive support you should be getting.

Maybe you should come to an agreement where its not discussed - you know, agree to disagree? Its not ideal, but if they're dead set on not supporting you, they should at least respect you enough to leave it alone...

And don't let it negatively interfere with your faith or your happiness with your faith. Don't let anyone sap the joy out of your spirituality, because spirituality is supposed to be something that is joyful and fulfilling. So don't let anyone ruin it for you!

*hugs!*
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Yeah my step dad hates that I read the bible and believe it over him! He will just have to get over it. Congrats on your baptism. We feel people are not held responsible until the age of twenty, but to each their own. Yahweh bless.
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Awe I am sorry that they are unsupportive just remember that you being baptizes draws you closer to God and lean on Him for strength and yes Satan is gonna attack you harder when you are walking with the Lord so put the Lords armor on and prepare to fight God Bless
    Anonymous