Is this okay?

DD, almost 3, has interpreted the time change in the opposite direction, and instead of waking later, she now wakes an hour earlier than she used to -- used to be 6:30, now it's 5:30. We have always gotten up and read to her, played with her... but 5:30 is unacceptable to me. I feel like at her age, we should be able to ask her to stay in bed a little longer and talk, etc. But she has a fit about that request (we've been working on it for a long time) and she shares a room with her little sister. Last night we tried a new strategy. I poured her cup of milk in and put it in the fridge, showed her where it was. I got a cereal bar and put it on a shelf she could reach, showed her where it was. I showed her how to turn on the DVD player and put one 1/2 hour episode of signing time in, ready to go. I showed her how to turn on the lamp. This morning, at 5:30, she got up and we didn't. She thought it was an adventure. Okay or bad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• (OP): Also she's potty trained and went upstairs before we told her she could go down by herself. She told us when her half hour show was over and I got up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Hmm, sounds like I good idea! I wonder if my son would do that!
    Anonymous

• Sounds great!
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:02 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• That's great. She has her own little independent time in the morning. :)
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• Thanks for reassuring me... We've avoided "using" tv if you know what I mean... she really hasn't watched much of it... and I've always wanted to give her the attention she needs. But she's kind of a high maintenance child, especially compared to her little sis. She is very smart and capable of being independent in a lot of ways, but she rarely does anything on her own without announcing each step to get our approval, that kind of thing. For example, she's been potty trained since 19 months but only just recently has been going on her own without telling us, practically asking for permission! I don't want to push her to grow up too fast, and I want to be there for her however she needs us... but she seems to be the only one in our house interested in being up at the a&& crack of dawn! Thanks again!
    Anonymous

• THE ONLY THING WOULD BE THAT YOU CAN STILL HEAR HER AND KEEP A SNACK OUT THAT SHE CANT CHOKE ON .....I WORRY ABOUT DD EATING AND CHOKING AND ME NOT BEING ABLE TO HEAR ETC! EVERYTHING ELSE SOUNDS FINE!

Anonymous

• i think thats great! i cant wait for my dd to be able to do that kinda stuff on her own.....i cherish what time in the morning i can get!
    iamcafemom83

Answer by iamcafemom83 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• My daughter is 2 and does the same thing. I make her a cup of milk at night and put in the refrigerator and she goes and get it in the morning and get back in bed. I turn on PBS before I go to bed so she can watch SID or something and I cut the tv for her when she wakes up and she sits there until I get up and fix her breakfast.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 22, 2010

• What if she chokes while eating that cereal bar?
    Anonymous

• OP here... to Anon1104: the reason I chose a cereal bar is that it is very soft and I can't see how it would be a choking hazard. It's softer than a fig newton. She also eats things like that while I, say, go to the bathroom upstairs (our only bathroom) with the door shut or go to the basement to do laundry (and I have to shut the door for that, too, because the stairs are steep and unsafe for the kids).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Mar. 23, 2010